Which Desktop Environment Should I Use?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which Desktop Environment?

XFCE
14%
KDE mini
No votes
Gnome
50%
Gnome lite
No votes
KDE community
36%

Total votes: 14

Caps18

Which Desktop Environment Should I Use?

Post by Caps18 »

I am going to be installing Daryna 4.0 this weekend, but I am confused about which desktop environment I should use. I have used both KDE and Gnome before, and my Mythbuntu box uses XFCE, but I don't interact with it much. I plan on using Open Office, so Koffice isn't necessary, but Konqueror may be nice to have. It is on a laptop, so any wireless access point programs and power management stuff would be helpful. I am also looking for something that is not CPU/RAM intensive and is quick. I would like there to be previews of pictures and movies in the file manager.

It has been a few years since I have used either one, so I don't know what has changed. And I don't know which version of Linux Mint would work best for me. Any advice from people that have used both would be helpful.

(And what is the difference between the gnome main and light editions besides 1 MB or the KDE mini vs community)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Which Desktop Environment Should I Use?

Post by MALsPa »

You might get a lot of opinions here, but the only important one is MINE!

:lol:

Just kidding. I'd probably pick one and then install some other desktop environments, spend some time using them, then make a decision. I personally can't decide, so I go back and forth between using KDE, GNOME, Xfce, Enlightenment, Fluxbox... I just love being able to have a change in scenery!
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Main light is without proprietary codecs, KDE Mini is made to fit on a mini CD.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I personally use XFCE as I find Gnome has a few annoying aspects and KDE is just "meh". But it takes a fair bit of tweaking to make Mint XFCE look nice as the default theming choices leave a lot to be desired. :P
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

You do not need kde to run konquerer.
I use gnome and have picture preview in the file manager.
You do not give enough info about your processor and ram to be able to advise on whether you should go for a light weight such as xfce or the more heavy stuff (kde, gnome).
Choosing between kde and gnome is a personal question. Taste and choose. You can install both and switch between them.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

I feel most at home in Gnome, and find XFCE ok.

Voted Gnome.

atlef.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I find debian based distro's are excellent with GNOME, for my KDE needs I look to OpenSuSE (I love their "Kicker"), and for my XFCE needs I look to DreamLinux. I find it more a mix between implementation and personal taste, my taste varies with the implementation of the said desktop environment, how logical the menus are built (OpenSuSE Kicker is one of THE most organized menus I have ever seen), how good the hardware support is and a small part is repo's and software..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Caps18

Post by Caps18 »

Well, I am posting this from the Gnome main edition of Linux Mint. We will see how this goes. But, so far so good.

I'm free, free from windows...

Return to “Beginner Questions”