Mint 14 on USB wont save data

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bugboy

Mint 14 on USB wont save data

Post by bugboy »

I have installed mint 14 on a usb and it looks awesome! I'd like to use the usb on various machines... so i copied files to my music or docment folders. They sit there and are usable - all good till i switch off and on again - to find nothing has saved - including wifi setup etc.

Is it possible for a total nube fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 14 on USB wont save data

Post by xenopeek »

I'm assuming you didn't actually install Linux Mint, but just used some program to put the ISO on the USB device? If there is an icon on your desktop to install Linux Mint, this is the case. Note that the ISO is not persistent, and is meant only to test out, install, or repair Linux Mint. If you want to carry Linux Mint on a USB device and be able to add and modify files, you can either look to a program that can make a persistent USB device for you from the ISO, or you can just install Linux Mint to the USB device. To install it, either boot from the ISO on a DVD or USB device, and then install it to another USB device. Make sure also to select to have the GRUB boot loader be installed to the USB device, and not to your primary hard disk (/dev/sda).
usbtux

Re: Mint 14 on USB wont save data

Post by usbtux »

You are using a live CD equivalent. If you made the live USB with unetbootin you need to make it again and this time add persistence.
This will allow you to save (some) settings and documents, make the persistence file. Here's a link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/386753/out-5.ogv that shows you how to do it from windows - Its not been edited so its the full process. When I get chance Ill edit it and post it to my youtube channel.

If you want to Fully Install to a usb use this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCfeFOxGLQ
bugboy

Re: Mint 14 on USB wont save data [SOLVED]

Post by bugboy »

Totally fab! Just the perfect help! Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”