Is there a Good DEBIAN BASED DISTRO?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a Good DEBIAN BASED DISTRO?

Post by newbi462 »

OK I have been spending a week trying to get basic UI/UX featers out of MINT and it is not happaning... even installed the KDE ver and the gird activit templet is missing... basicaly just so many UI/UX things that LInux is capibal of..... I would spend the next few months trying to retweek MINT.... it is rediculess... Your almost forced to use DEB today... so is there a good DEB based distro with the lev of hardware suport MINT seams to have that is not trying to dumb down UI//UXUX to be over limited...

I am not trying to step on tows here but use LInux because the UI/UX options are better.... strip them away and I have no valid reasion to use it
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: Is there a Good DEBIAN BASED DISTRO?

Post by cwwgateway »

newbi462 wrote:OK I have been spending a week trying to get basic UI/UX featers out of MINT and it is not happaning... even installed the KDE ver and the gird activit templet is missing... basicaly just so many UI/UX things that LInux is capibal of..... I would spend the next few months trying to retweek MINT.... it is rediculess... Your almost forced to use DEB today... so is there a good DEB based distro with the lev of hardware suport MINT seams to have that is not trying to dumb down UI//UXUX to be over limited...

I am not trying to step on tows here but use LInux because the UI/UX options are better.... strip them away and I have no valid reasion to use it
I'm not quite sure what you mean or what you want. I assume you don't want Unity, Gnome Shell, or Cinnamon (or did you try MATE?). AFAIK Mint KDE is KDE, so I don't know what other distros do KDE differently. So basically, what DE or experience do you want specifically?
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

newbi462 wrote:OK I have been spending a week trying to get basic UI/UX featers out of MINT and it is not happaning... even installed the KDE ver and the gird activit templet is missing... basicaly just so many UI/UX things that LInux is capibal of..... I would spend the next few months trying to retweek MINT.... it is rediculess... Your almost forced to use DEB today... so is there a good DEB based distro with the lev of hardware suport MINT seams to have that is not trying to dumb down UI//UXUX to be over limited...

SolusOS is based on debian and has very good hardware support-

http://solusos.com/
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

cecar wrote:

That's very true, although I think they're moving to pisi with their next release. They are going to provide a script to convert packages from .debs, however. They have basically the same hardware support as debian (with an updated kernel and some updated drivers, which can make a significant difference or none at all). I personally find that, while I love Debian-based stuff (and I use it primarily), it doesn't have as good driver support as Ubuntu. Also, newbi462 was asking about package selection, and while Debian has many packages, many .debs are built for Ubuntu only (and could require changes to get them to work on Debian, even if it's possible) and PPAs will generally not work with Debian (although some will).
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

cwwgateway wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean or what you want. I assume you don't want Unity, Gnome Shell, or Cinnamon (or did you try MATE?). AFAIK Mint KDE is KDE, so I don't know what other distros do KDE differently. So basically, what DE or experience do you want specifically?
What featuers I use are the folder views that KDE offers (but in the GRID VIEW TEMPLET so the folder views are treated like icons and can be locked to the grid so you.... the 3D dont have to realine them if you acedently click....

I use EXPO and SCALE, but using hot corners for both..... I user the accesabilitiy featuers from COMPIZ.... I use the drag and choise that is indiketive of dolifin in KDE, though not unique to it.

Cinnamon has a better EXPO than COMPIZ but at the price of losing all the other featuers... the KDE build seems to have no grid view templet that suports locking folder views, and only 4 temps to load non of which are it... KDE is more decloped than that.....r coice 9 difrent way
I also use the GRID featuer from COMPIZ that lets you snap windows in place with key binding of your ct KDE is almost an after thought in MINThoising 9 difrent ways. Basicaly I use the featuers of COMPIZ that no DE fully duplicates.... and some of KDE.... but KDE is almost an after thought in MINT many things that work in the Cinnamon ver dont at all in the KDE one, and it seems COMPIZ has been eraticated as unturn onable..... I dont care if COMPIZ is dead untill the DE have 100% of its featuers those of us who used those featers want them.
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

cwwgateway wrote:
cecar wrote:

That's very true, although I think they're moving to pisi with their next release. They are going to provide a script to convert packages from .debs, however. They have basically the same hardware support as debian (with an updated kernel and some updated drivers, which can make a significant difference or none at all). I personally find that, while I love Debian-based stuff (and I use it primarily), it doesn't have as good driver support as Ubuntu. Also, newbi462 was asking about package selection, and while Debian has many packages, many .debs are built for Ubuntu only (and could require changes to get them to work on Debian, even if it's possible) and PPAs will generally not work with Debian (although some will).
that is the probalem all UBUNTU based stuff has a verry aoying UI/UX that is often limiting.. like the HOT CORNER vs corners and so on... they just seem to do less.... but we are getting forced to use Ubuntu based distros.... and while DEBIAn UIN will boot less stuff than works in the KDE ver of MINT which is not alot works on the system... All I want is a system that works with out a dumbed down UI so I dont have to click 5 times to what I should be able to do in one action
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

It sounds like you don't actually want a GUI, you want a Window Manager like Awesome or wmaker.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Ok, I think I got the gist of it. I'm basically going for Ubuntu based with compiz. Here's a list of distros I know/think work with compiz:
Ubuntu - Ubuntu uses Unity which is a compiz plugin, so you get compiz effects with a "dumbed down" interface.
ZorinOS - Zorin is fairly Windows-like, but it uses AWN with Compiz (and Gnome Classic), and AWN is very configurable
Ultimate - Ultimate Edition uses Compiz and lots of other "extras" by default
Xubuntu - You can use Compiz with Xfce, and it works fairly well
Kubuntu - This is about as plain a KDE as you can find on Ubuntu, so if Kubuntu doesn't have some feature, than it's a problem with the Ubuntu package.
Netrunner - This distro has a more customized KDE
Voyager - Voyager has Xfce and lots of customizations, and you can add compiz

Also, the arch user repository (aur) has lots of packages, so Arch essentially has at least 42,000 packages, although some AUR packages are broken, repeats, or different versions of the same package. Unfortunately, I have to keep an Ubuntu install for Steam and Netflix, and I have been trying for a long time to switch completely to Debian (although I still enjoy Ubuntu-Based Mint, I just prefer Debian). You can get both to work on Debian (although both require a heck of a lot of work), but it takes so much time and effort to succeed, and there are too many things that require this effort.

As for a WM, then there were be lots of desktop icon problems, and hot corners might not work, etc. I love OpenBox (and CrunchBang and Archbang, which are where I use OpenBox), but I don't think it does some of these things.
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

cwwgateway wrote:Ok, I think I got the gist of it. I'm basically going for Ubuntu based with compiz. Here's a list of distros I know/think work with compiz:
Ubuntu - Ubuntu uses Unity which is a compiz plugin, so you get compiz effects with a "dumbed down" interface.
ZorinOS - Zorin is fairly Windows-like, but it uses AWN with Compiz (and Gnome Classic), and AWN is very configurable
Kubuntu - This is about as plain a KDE as you can find on Ubuntu, so if Kubuntu doesn't have some feature, than it's a problem with the Ubuntu package.

Also, the arch user repository (aur) has lots of packages, so Arch essentially has at least 42,000 packages, although some AUR packages are broken, repeats, or different versions of the same package. Unfortunately, I have to keep an Ubuntu install for Steam and Netflix, and I have been trying for a long time to switch completely to Debian (although I still enjoy Ubuntu-Based Mint, I just prefer Debian). You can get both to work on Debian (although both require a heck of a lot of work), but it takes so much time and effort to succeed, and there are too many things that require this effort.

As for a WM, then there were be lots of desktop icon problems, and hot corners might not work, etc. I love OpenBox (and CrunchBang and Archbang, which are where I use OpenBox), but I don't think it does some of these things.
That is why UBUNTU is right off the list... the dumbed down... AKA less
I will look at Zorin, but windws like tends to be just as limiting in the other way
the Ultimate Edition site seems o have som issues... is it only 32 bit ver if so is PAE cofiguer by default?
XFCE is really limeting so that writes off Xubuntu
I cant put my figer on it I think it is the KDE slap on the makes Kubuntu less than ideal....
Netrunner is worth a look it looks like
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

newbi462 wrote: I will look at Zorin, but windws like tends to be just as limiting in the other way
the Ultimate Edition site seems o have som issues... is it only 32 bit ver if so is PAE cofiguer by default?
I cant put my figer on it I think it is the KDE slap on the makes Kubuntu less than ideal....
Zorin is definitely Windows-like, but the technology behind it (AWN and Gnome Fallback/Classic) are actually fairly customizable.

I also had issues with the ultimate edition, but that was specific to the nvidia drivers on the machine that was running it (I was running it in Virtual Box on a machine with bad nvidia drivers, so it was completely my fault). I think PAE is default in Ubuntu now and it is hard to get it without PAE, although I don't know for certain

Personally I don't find Xfce limiting, but if you do, then I guess it is off the list.

As far as the KDE problem goes, what version of KDE was it? On Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13 or Ubuntu 12.10/Mint 14?

Netrunner is a very interesting distro. It isn't my favorite because I'm not a KDE (or an Ubuntu-based distro) fan, but it is definitely worth a little bit of time.

Wow, while I was typing this I guess Ultimate Edition 3.5 was released (or I was notified, at least). I just looked through the release notes and apparently KDE is their new default, so I'd check that out.

Edit: I'm not sure, but it appears LXDE, Xfce, KDE, and Gnome are all installed on one ISO :?
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

cwwgateway wrote:
newbi462 wrote: I will look at Zorin, but windws like tends to be just as limiting in the other way
Zorin is definitely Windows-like, but the technology behind it (AWN and Gnome Fallback/Classic) are actually fairly customizable.

I also had issues with the ultimate edition, but that was specific to the nvidia drivers on the machine that was running it (I was running it in Virtual Box on a machine with bad nvidia drivers, so it was completely my fault). I think PAE is default in Ubuntu now and it is hard to get it without PAE, although I don't know for certain

Personally I don't find Xfce limiting, but if you do, then I guess it is off the list.

As far as the KDE problem goes, what version of KDE was it? On Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13 or Ubuntu 12.10/Mint 14?

Netrunner is a very interesting distro. It isn't my favorite because I'm not a KDE (or an Ubuntu-based distro) fan, but it is definitely worth a little bit of time.

Wow, while I was typing this I guess Ultimate Edition 3.5 was released (or I was notified, at least). I just looked through the release notes and apparently KDE is their new default, so I'd check that out.

Edit: I'm not sure, but it appears LXDE, Xfce, KDE, and Gnome are all installed on one ISO :?
I AM NOT A DEBIAN FAN but you dont have a choice any more... to many people think ubuntu is Linux so you are forced to use UBUNTU based rather it is a good fit or not.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Have a close look at SolusOS.
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

Dyfi wrote:Have a close look at SolusOS.
while I am at it I will try it

But seems just like MINT stock they cloned windows a little to much... will really come down to hardware suport and what is locked Vs tweakable...
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

newbi462 wrote:I AM NOT A DEBIAN FAN but you dont have a choice any more... to many people think ubuntu is Linux so you are forced to use UBUNTU based rather it is a good fit or not.
Why does the fact that some people don't know that Ubuntu is just one of many Linux distros mean that anyone doesn't have a choice in distros, or that anyone is forced to use Ubuntu?
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

MALsPa wrote:
newbi462 wrote:I AM NOT A DEBIAN FAN but you dont have a choice any more... to many people think ubuntu is Linux so you are forced to use UBUNTU based rather it is a good fit or not.
Why does the fact that some people don't know that Ubuntu is just one of many Linux distros mean that anyone doesn't have a choice in distros, or that anyone is forced to use Ubuntu?
Because do not understand the need to proaper package their software... and so pacage for Ubuntu instead of Linux.... or even DEBIAN.... when some one says
they suport Linux they mean they support Ubuntu
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

newbi462 wrote:
Dyfi wrote:Have a close look at SolusOS.
while I am at it I will try it

But seems just like MINT stock they cloned windows a little to much... will really come down to hardware suport and what is locked Vs tweakable...
Its not Mint. Its based directly on Debian and not Ubuntu.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Yes - SolusOS is based Debian Stable!
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

cwwgateway wrote:Ok, I think I got the gist of it. I'm basically going for Ubuntu based with compiz. Here's a list of distros I know/think work with compiz:
Ok of these Ultimate Edition is looking like the closest but COMPIZ is not enabled by default and support is hard to open there as every thing is manual verify only before it will even post the message... and having some other issues with it....
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

@newbi462
Compiz was used the last time I tried it, although it's very possible now they've stopped using it.

Again, SolusOS is great (although I, admittedly, have some problems with a fairly small minority in their community that seems to really dislike Clem and Mint, but that isn't related to the distro), but I believe newbi462 is looking for Ubuntu package compatibility, which you won't completely get with Debian-based distros (which I, again, use primarily and really like). Hardware support is very good in SolusOS, but most hardware manufacturers certify like 70% of their PCs to run Ubuntu specifically, so that might take it the extra mile. Personally, I don't have much of a problem with hardware compatibility or package selection on other distros, but I can see that problem occurring.
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

cwwgateway wrote:@newbi462
Compiz was used the last time I tried it, although it's very possible now they've stopped using it.

Again, SolusOS is great (although I, admittedly, have some problems with a fairly small minority in their community that seems to really dislike Clem and Mint, but that isn't related to the distro), but I believe newbi462 is looking for Ubuntu package compatibility, which you won't completely get with Debian-based distros (which I, again, use primarily and really like). Hardware support is very good in SolusOS, but most hardware manufacturers certify like 70% of their PCs to run Ubuntu specifically, so that might take it the extra mile. Personally, I don't have much of a problem with hardware compatibility or package selection on other distros, but I can see that problem occurring.
Where I am at the moment with UE 3.5 is not one of the desktop affects in any DE or compiz is working.... and the support over there is not to helpful. If they could be made to work could be a match

In SolusOS, Saw no way to enable COMPIZ... did I miss it?

Return to “Chat about Linux”