Strange Locked Wifi folder in Downloads. [Solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Strange Locked Wifi folder in Downloads. [Solved]

Post by Orbmiser »

Was have disconnects & Unstable connections so following these ubuntu instructions.
The ALFA AWUS036H adapter is based on the Realtek RTL8187 chipset. The drivers should be built into Ubuntu, but you may want to try installing the latest from Realtek:

Download the "Linux driver for Kernel 3.0.0/3.1.0/3.2.0" from the Realtek website here.
It will open in Archive Manager; extract the rtl8187L_linux_1041.0209.2012 folder to your Downloads folder.

Open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T, and type/paste the following, one line a time:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
cd Downloads/rtl8187L_linux_1041.0209.2012
make
sudo make install

Then reboot, and your AWUS036H should be detected.
After the wifi connection seems more robust but only been a day so still evaluating.
But I go look into and clean my downloads folder. And can't delete the folder.
screenshot-area-2013-01-02-192250.png
Shows a lock /home/orbmiser/Downloads/rtl8187L_linux_1041.0209.2012/rtl8187/.tmp_versions/r1871.mod file

And tried to delete the downloaded packages from downloads as have them backed up to another drive. And cannot delete the folder. Me thinks the procedure actually installed part of the final installed and in the downloads folder? Or something left over and how to delete it?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Strange Locked Wifi folder in Downloads.

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

sudo rm -rf /home/$USER/Downloads/.tmp*

Done.
nomko

Post by nomko »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:sudo rm -rf /home/$USER/Downloads/.tmp*

Done.
It's an hidden folder and most probably used as a temporary folder for storing data during installation. Deleting this folder should have no effect on your system/configuration but since this is a hidden folder i rather keep the folder just in case. Monitor that folder for some while and if nothing is written into that folder then you can decide to remove this folder. There's a good reason for something that it is hidden!

Hidden folders and files can be identified by the dot (.) before file name or folder name.
Last edited by nomko on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Thanks for the info all!
And will do.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Well after a few reboots checked and it hadn't been modified to present date. So right clicked file and open as root so I could delete the file. And then deleted the folder so solved I guess. Tho curious as why it was locked then not unlocked if not needed anymore.

Return to “Networking”