how to get bluetooth working in Daryna

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pauloates

how to get bluetooth working in Daryna

Post by pauloates »

I installed bluez-gnome from the synaptic package manager and inserted my usb bluetooth adapter - my phone (sharp gx17) finds the computer with correct name - when I run 'Bluetooth Analyzer' and try to connect 'Local connection' reports 'Can't live import from local host', remote connection reports 'Can't live import from (blank)'. My phone says connection is disconnected and can't connect.
One site I found said remove bluez and install blueman - I did this and could not find the program. Another site said blueman can't work without bluez! I tried this but bluez did not appear after installation. Another listed many dependencies needed for bluez to work. I am confused!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul Oates
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: how to get bluetooth working in Daryna

Post by Husse »

This topic is rather interesting
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =bluetooth
I find it easily because I know "who's in there" :)
pauloates

Post by pauloates »

Thanks Husse but I just want to be able to download photos, not use my phone as a modem.

Paul Oates
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK :)
There has been a few questions about phone as modem over bluetooth so I just sorted you in there
I hope I can bet back to this soon
Can you use USB as a temporary solution -I mean you are not far away from the computer with bluetooth anyway...
pauloates

Post by pauloates »

Thanks again - I tried the usb connection but the phone was not seen. I then happened to come across a question on this in a magazine which gave the following commands to type in which I did:
sudo apt-get install bluez-utils
I then had to auto delete some files and then type
sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart

The result was a Bluetooth symbol at the bottom and yes - I was apparently able to pair successfully. However if I right-click on the Bluetooth icon the list of paired devices is empty. Similarly if I tried to download a file from the phone I get a failure message.

My searching of the internet just reveals one other person with the same problem but no references people having achieved this.

Paul Oates
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have a Sony-Ericson W700i which has Bluetooth, but I don't have a computer with it (wife has with windose) so I use USB and it just appears as a USB stick and I import photos to my computer
But that's all experience I have (well - not quite - got it working as modem over USB in windose XP even thought the software was crappy)
pauloates

Post by pauloates »

Perhaps my problem is a little old fashioned and that is why it does not appear on the web. I realise now that most (all?) camera phones now come with a memory card - so you just stick it into a card reader - you don't need to search for the lost usb cable or use Bluetooth. So there is no point in someone writing software that would receive downloaded images.

Paul Oates

Return to “Beginner Questions”