Laptop is not power off at Shut down (Mint 14)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Agathon

Laptop is not power off at Shut down (Mint 14)

Post by Agathon »

I'm totally new to Linux and Mint and I really need some guidance.

I've installed Linux Mint 14 as a dual boot and it works fine exept when I'm trying to shut down the system.
Everything closes down except the back ground then nothing happens and I have to press the power button for a couple of seconds to power off the computer.

If I choose Hibernate it automaticly disable wired connection and then the computer goes into Hibernate just fine.

I have tried to manually disable the network and then choose Shut down or in a terminal write "Sudo shutdown now" but gets the same results.

Can someone guide me to solve this so I can shut down my computer just by pressing Shut down?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wazntme

Re: Laptop is not power off at Shut down (Mint 14)

Post by wazntme »

Sudo shutdown -P 0

Not sure how to change the GUI shutdown command
Agathon

Post by Agathon »

Thanks for the reply, but "Sudo shutdown -P 0" didn't work, got "command not found" :(
wazntme

Post by wazntme »

Sudo is not found?
Shutdown not found?

Can you post your results....
Agathon

Post by Agathon »

Sorry, I dit it wrong. Now I wrote sudo with a small s it worked, but unfortunatly I got the same result with that command to: black screen and I need to press power button a couple of seconds to turn of computer:(

Do you have any other idea? :)

BR
Agathon
wazntme

Post by wazntme »

There is some information that indicates changes to Advanced Power Management in grub may fix a shutdown issue.
apm=off acpi=on

I would wait to see if someone else has any sugguestions, since I have no experience with this.
lobster

Post by lobster »

I've got exactly the same problem Agathon described on Mint 14 with kde.
Myrmidon83

Post by Myrmidon83 »

This problem has existed since Mint 13 on a small amount of systems, one of mine for instance. Only thing that works for it is to press return a few times, it's as though it hangs at a particular shutdown instruction and pressing return allows it to progress.
Mechrawr

Post by Mechrawr »

I had this problem when I first discovered the shutdown command which is that

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown
seems to shut down the system in its entirety except doesn't turn the physical power off; thus, it needs proper arguments. I have not experimented with the -P option, but there seems to be a difference in activity between that and what I normally use, which is -h. From the man page it looks like -P defines a variable or script to turn the power off when halted. The problem is, you never tell your computer to halt, just what "halt" is.
I recommend the following:

sudo shutdown -h now
the -h performs this halt after the shutdown sequence, and I prefer the now over numbers to remove the possibility of ambiguity. Let me know how this works.
Agathon

Post by Agathon »

Thanks for the advice but I got the same result with:

sudo shutdown -h now
If I start computer and run

sudo shutdown -h now
or

sudo shutdown
or

sudo shutdown -P
or "menu/quit/shut down" I got the same result, it doesn't matter if I disable network connection or not.

But if I first puts computer in Hibernate, "awakes it" and then disconnect network connection,.. then its possible to power off the computer with "menu/quit/shutdown".

(hibernate, awake, not disconnect connection, shutdown, dont power off the computer either.

Might this help you understand what the issue is? :)
Mechrawr

Post by Mechrawr »

Alright, found this fun little solution explaining why some processes will try to hang, but I'll summarize and get to the main things to try.
Open up your boot command with (I'm using vi, feel free to use whatever text editor you want):

sudo vi /etc/default/grub
You should find a line that says

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
It's unlikely that there's anything currently in your quotations, but if there is, just add a space and the next thing (all within these quote). Otherwise, just insert this into the quotes:

reboot=(something)
This (something) can be one of the following
  • warm = Don’t set the cold reboot flag
    cold = Set the cold reboot flag
    bios = Reboot by jumping through the BIOS (only for X86_32)
    smp = Reboot by executing reset on BSP or other CPU (only for X86_32)
    triple = Force a triple fault (init)
    kbd = Use the keyboard controller. cold reset (default)
    acpi = Use the RESET_REG in the FADT
    efi = Use efi reset_system runtime service
    pci = Use the so-called “PCI reset register”, CF9
    force = Avoid anything that could hang.
For each item, try the shutdown, and see if it follows through. It doesn't matter which one works, just leave it after. It's suggested that you start with bios or acpi, see if either of those work first, since usually it's one of those.
After the addition of this term, save the file, then run

sudo update-grub
and let it reconfigure. Once it's done, try shutting down. I might suggest making sure that it ends up being off at some point witch each test, just to be certain that it's actually looking at this line during the boot; so technically, to make sure each test works, you may need to shutdown twice, if that makes sense. You can see if it actually ended up booting with the information with

cat /proc/cmdline
and your addition should be around the end. Try this, see if one works.
Agathon

Post by Agathon »

Hi Mechrawr, once again thanks for your help:)
This didn’t work for me, I tried all the options but only “bios” works some of the times.
But I think its ok, because if I had "Hibernate" the computer before I can shut it down most of the time.

But right now I have a much bigger issue, maybe you can guide me to a proper solution here as well? :)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=122203
lobster

Post by lobster »

My solution to fix the issue was to plug out the external monitor after the laptop was off. Linux srsly sux at multi-monitor handling.
jwedekin

Post by jwedekin »

Ok. This didn't use to happen to my Lenovo T410si laptop, but now it does.

It has been happening for a few days maybe?

I'm running LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit. I think a recent update to grub or the distro may have broken my system. Are there any recent updates that would cause my laptop to go through the entire shutdown process, but not actually turn off?

Note: In addition to distro updates, I recently installed MonoDevelop, Gaphor, and Ruby.

Return to “Beginner Questions”