Cinnamon with Unity Dash?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Krasno

Cinnamon with Unity Dash?

Post by Krasno »

There is an interesting post in the Distrowatch issue 488 of 2012-12-24 about Cinnamon with Unity Dash. Have you seen the post no. 109?
109 • @ 105 Jeffersonian and @107 Barney (by Chanath on 2013-01-02 09:20:35 GMT from Sri Lanka)
Linux Mint Cinnamon...You might be interested about how Dash can be made to work with Cinnamon. Have look http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4412 ... hisnow.jpg

Or, Cinnamon could be made to work with Dash, but without the Unity left bar and the global menu bar.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Cinnamon with Unity Dash?

Post by viking777 »

How crazy! The launcher (and its sub features) is the one thing that makes Unity the best DE around (or at least it would be if the Canonical half wits hadn't removed 'dodge windows'). Now if Clem forked Unity instead of gnome and gave it back 'dodge windows', permanently removed Amazon search results, and improved the ease of adding and editing 'Quick Lists' (which are the real killer feature in Unity). Then that would make it completely unbeatable. (While he is at it he could totally remove the HUD as well which is just a solution looking for a problem where no problem has ever existed).

Just dreaming you know.
nomko

Post by nomko »

The whole idea (IMHO) of Cinnamon is to provide a DE without that (horrible) Unity and/or Dash forked from Gnome3. IF you want Dash/Unity, then install Ubuntu and wipe Mint off your computer!
viking777

Post by viking777 »

IF you want Dash/Unity, then install Ubuntu and wipe Mint off your computer!
With your permission, can I use both?
nomko

Post by nomko »

viking777 wrote:With your permission, can I use both?
Permission not granted!

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

viking777 wrote:'Quick Lists' (which are the real killer feature in Unity)
Yeah, QuickLists are nice.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Permission not granted!
Well at least we can laugh about it :D

I read a quote from Clem the other day, he was asked about DE's, he replied saying something like this: "If you look down the street where you live does everyone drive the same car as you?" "Of course not, they probably all have different makes and models and nobody cares less, but if they prefer one desktop environment over another it nearly breaks out into open warfare". "Why is this?"

It's an exceptionally good point. That is the kind of man I would like to see developing Unity, not an idiot that thinks that Amazon search results are anything other than an abomination - even if you can switch them off.

Still, it will never happen.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I read a quote from Clem the other day, he was asked about DE's, he replied saying something like this: "If you look down the street where you live does everyone drive the same car as you?" "Of course not, they probably all have different makes and models and nobody cares less, but if they prefer one desktop environment over another it nearly breaks out into open warfare". "Why is this?"

It's an exceptionally good point. That is the kind of man I would like to see developing Unity, not an idiot that thinks that Amazon search results are anything other than an abomination - even if you can switch them off.
A very exceptionally good point!! One for the records!
Still, it will never happen.
Keep hoping... maybe 1 day...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this was done before using gnome-shell and unity-2d http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/cool-doc ... ty-2d.html
i believe that in mint13 (were unity-2d is still available) this can be replicated in cinnamon.

assuming that the above picture is legit (there's always that) i see that it's using nautilus and the additional drivers app is also installed so i presume that it was done in mint 13.
Krasno

Post by Krasno »

viking777 wrote:How crazy! The launcher (and its sub features) is the one thing that makes Unity the best DE around (or at least it would be if the Canonical half wits hadn't removed 'dodge windows'). Now if Clem forked Unity instead of gnome and gave it back 'dodge windows', permanently removed Amazon search results, and improved the ease of adding and editing 'Quick Lists' (which are the real killer feature in Unity). Then that would make it completely unbeatable. (While he is at it he could totally remove the HUD as well which is just a solution looking for a problem where no problem has ever existed).

Just dreaming you know.
There's nothing much Clem has to do here. This had been done already!
Read the Distrowatch comments.
And, read this too; http://elementaryos.org/journal/whats-s ... w-controls

I
t is the 1st of January 2013. Here is something that might bring joy to some, heartache to others;
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7269 ... withsl.jpg
What you see under Slingshot is Linux Mint 13, not even installed...works very well without Gala and Pantheon!
Here is the new Slingshot with Cinnamon; http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8693 ... wsling.jpg
No one is going to say that Cinnamon is not a mature DE.
nomko

Post by nomko »

For what it's worth: the biggest/main reason for me ditch Ubuntu is that horrible Unity DE. The biggest/main reason for me to choose for Mint is the multiple choice of desktop environments as Mint is providing which is also more than enough. Cinnamon offers me the best DE available at this moment. First i think it is totally unnecessary to make a Mint version with Unity, for the Unity DE you have Ubuntu, secondly, I do not think that there is a large group of Mint users who will appreciate it when Mint comes with Unity.

Even implementing parts of Unity into Cinnamon will be a wrong choice in my opinion. Most users are very happy with the simplicity of the MATE and Cinnamon menu. Add the Unity dash and that same simplicity is gone. And it will make me go back on distro hopping again...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You needn't worry nomko - he is not going to do it, even if he did, it wouldn't be compulsory to use it. But he won't.

Speaking as someone who would find such a development highly desirable I can easily see it does not fit in to his plans or his workload and probably wouldn't appeal to many users anyway.

A guy called Isaac Joseph already 'forked' 12.04 into a project called 'Unity Revamped' (it was just a small rewrite rather than a fork actually). What he produced was miles better than Canonical's offering. Sadly he lost interest in it since then and hasn't updated the project for 12.10 (or maybe he was threatened by Ubuntu heavies and has no fingers any more :lol: ) . My 'dream' is that somebody like that would reverse the crass decisions that Canonical have made with the project recently.

So as I said, don't worry, you are safe with Cinnamon for a long time to come. It is a good desktop too, I use it every day (along with others).
nomko

Post by nomko »

viking777 wrote:You needn't worry nomko

You made my day!

viking777 wrote:he is not going to do it, even if he did, it wouldn't be compulsory to use it. But he won't.
It would be a great shame if he did. Like i said, if you want Unity, go Ubuntu.
It is a good desktop too, I use it every day (along with others).
It is a very good desktop, despite of some flaws. But then again, it is still under development. And Cinnamon gives me back that trusty old feeling which i had with Ubuntu up to 10.04.3. The Unity DE made me go distro hopping ending up with Mint14 + Cinnamon. I tried Mint 13 with Cinnamon, but to me it was a bit too much buggy. Cinnamon 1.6 is much better and stable!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Please, less fanboydom. If you don't like Unity, no need to shove it down the throats of people who do. It's not relevant.

Unity's dash is certainly a more empowering super/windows key press experience than Cinnamon's menu. There has to be some conflicts not mentioned, though, it can't be so easy to just take a lump out of Unity, or Pantheon, and chuck it into Cinnamon.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

just as a proof of concept, yes it can be done.
- mint 13 (as i said above it won't work with 14 afaik because unity-2d was dropped)
- cinnamon and unity (at least unity-2d has to be installed)
- the shell command to start the launcher and the dash is

Code: Select all

unity-2d-shell
Krasno

Re: Cinnamon with Unity Dash...

Post by Krasno »

Everyone here had missed to bus!
I didn't post it as "Cinnamon with Unity Dash?" with the "?' mark. I didn't post it in this thread too. Someone had redone (remixed?) my post and posted it here, and lot of you guys had "missed the bus."

This was not meant as a suggestion!

It was a report that Linux Mint Cinnamon had been made to work with the Unity's Dash, while using the Cinnamon panel, but not the Cinnamon menu, or the Unity's launcher and the top panel.

I posted another comment saying that Clem has nothing to do with it as its already done! The post with the screenshot is already in the Distrowatch's archive.

Then, I gave information that the same Cinnamon was used, but without its menu, to use the "old" Slingshot as the search engine/launcher of apps.

The information here is that both Dash and old Slingshot has much prettier interface to work with than the Cinnamon menu and much easier to work with. In other words, the Cinnamon menu of Cinnamon DE is not needed!

Yes, not needed for the better use of Cinnamon Maya or Nadia or the next girl's name.

In my opening post, I didn't quote the Distrowatch post, but only directed anyone interested in seeing how Cinnamon would be made to work without the Cinnamon menu, but with more interesting Dash, and also without the Unity's launcher and global menu.

I was watching the commenting with a smile, noticing how the fanboishness blinds people. Everyone had missed the bus in reading a simple post!

Until April 2017, that is until the end of life Ubuntu, any Cinnamon release would be made to work with Unity's Dash, the "old" Slingshot and the "new" Slingshot. There is absolutely no need for the Cinnamon "menu."

zerozero its pretty easy to install Unity 2D, Unity 3D in Linux Mint 13 & 14, but try and separate the Dash from the "Launcher" and the "top panel."
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry for misunderstanding, but your initial post was not very clear (it lacked source links for one) and you had posted it to the support section of the forum. I added the source links, and having a short read it looked to me you like posted this as a "this could be something you guys would want to do" post so moved it to the suggestions forum. I've moved it to open chat now.
Krasno

Post by Krasno »

xenopeek wrote:Sorry for misunderstanding, but your initial post was not very clear (it lacked source links for one) and you had posted it to the support section of the forum. I added the source links, and having a short read it looked to me you like posted this as a "this could be something you guys would want to do" post so moved it to the suggestions forum. I've moved it to open chat now.
That's ok!
The only thing is the guys had missed the bus.
In the Mint 13, 14 with Cinnamon, the Cinnamon menu is not exactly needed, if we make the Dash or the new and the old Slingshot to work with what's underneath! The engine under the Cinnamon is Gnome 3, so whether it is Muffin or Mutter has no significance.

The Cinnamon panel would still work and even add all kinds applets, while the search engine/launcher would be Dash without the Unity launcher and global menu. That's the most interesting fact here. Maybe in the future, the Cinnamon panel would be made to not to work with Dash as a development issue, but it would be very hard thing to do. Till April 2017, this istuation would stay put, whatever new releases Ubuntu would have and the subsequent Mint releases. That's another 4 years of safe-base, Ubuntu 12.04! I have played with Quantal and raring and I don't want them. They are just transit ones, testing the users, rather than the distros. I'll wait for the 14.04 LTS to start, that is around October-November 2013, a testing version would come out.

You see, we have been promoting the Cinnamon (menu) as the remedy for all ailments, but it is not. That Dash works in every Ubuntu based distro, even in Lucid! Actually, the Cinnamon panel is superb! I'd be quite happy to get it working in Gnome-classic. :)
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

zerozero wrote:just as a proof of concept, yes it can be done.
- mint 13 (as i said above it won't work with 14 afaik because unity-2d was dropped)
- cinnamon and unity (at least unity-2d has to be installed)
- the shell command to start the launcher and the dash is

Code: Select all

unity-2d-shell
Looking at LM 14 Maya, unity-2d is available for installation, but I'm still confused as to whether or not it will actually work? You're saying it won't, but Krasno - if I haven't misunderstood his post - says it would work?
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
AnonKS

Post by AnonKS »

What pushed me off Ubuntu and towards mint was the addition of "unity-lens-shopping" in Ubuntu 12.10. To have spyware in a Linux distro is utterly disgusting. With that said, unity isn't so bad if you have extra memory to burn. Cinnamon is just awesome though. I find it pretty cool that someone put the 2 together. Free as in freedom, right?

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Open Chat”