[Solved] Cannot sync iPod

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Cannot sync iPod

Post by vdeane »

Did iPod syncing break recently or something? I'm using Mint 13 (32 bit) and have been using Banshee to copy music to my iPod nano (3rd generation; yes, it's that old). This worked until today, and now whenever I try to copy a song over it gets stuck at "preparing to sync" and nothing gets added to the iPod. I'm at wits end and have strong urges to throw my iPod out the window (which I only use with my iTrip to play music in the car during trips; I guess now I have to transcode everything to cassette tape, because that's the only thing my car has other than a radio (not even a CD player)). Please help. I don't know what to do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cannot sync iPod

Post by vdeane »

Does anyone have any ideas? I still cannot sync my iPod, and I would like to get the new music I bought last week onto it.

EDIT: Is it worth noting that about a month ago I renamed my iPod? I'm wondering if that could be the problem, as when I tried to see what would happen if I connected the iPod to another computer, and the other computer not only had the same issues with Banshee, but it also recognized the iPod under its old name and not the new one. Also, Banshee cannot see the music on my iPod any more, even though I can play it just fine on the iPod. I think my iPod may need a factory restore of the firmware, but I have no way of doing this, having switched away from iTunes long ago and I no longer allow that malware anywhere near my Windows partition.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vdeane »

I got around to asking Mom to connect my iPod to her laptop and iTunes... which worked fine, and after renaming it again, works fine on Banshee again. I guess that's one more item to the list of "do not attempt to do this on Linux" list I have (most/all are iPod related).
nomko

Post by nomko »

vdeane wrote:I got around to asking Mom to connect my iPod to her laptop and iTunes... which worked fine, and after renaming it again, works fine on Banshee again. I guess that's one more item to the list of "do not attempt to do this on Linux" list I have (most/all are iPod related).
I have a iPod Nano and can't get it working under Linux either. I'm still looking for a workable solution without bugging others who have a Windows system and iTunes :roll: . There must be a good and workable solution for this, but it is an Apple product and knowing Apple.... They almost work like Windows! :lol:
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Cannot sync iPod

Post by hhead »

Have you tried gtkpod? This maybe a bit clunky but works more consistently than anything else (at the moment it does all pods in our family with album art). Rhythmbox used to work brilliantly drag the files from nautilus to the ipod in Rhythmbox and the files would be put on as an album. This stopped working with existing ipods in our family many versions of ubuntu ago but my daughter bought a 4th gen nano recently and it works with this.
nomko

Re: [Solved] Cannot sync iPod

Post by nomko »

hhead wrote:Have you tried gtkpod? This maybe a bit clunky but works more consistently than anything else (at the moment it does all pods in our family with album art). Rhythmbox used to work brilliantly drag the files from nautilus to the ipod in Rhythmbox and the files would be put on as an album. This stopped working with existing ipods in our family many versions of ubuntu ago but my daughter bought a 4th gen nano recently and it works with this.
i tried and it f****d up my iPod for some unclear reasons... Rhythmbox i haven't tried. I'll try that.

Return to “Sound”