Mint XFCE firefox has "text/html decoder" error

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tshann
Level 1
Level 1

Mint XFCE firefox has "text/html decoder" error

Post by tshann »

Hi,
I'm running x64 version of Linux Mint Xfce Nadia. The rig is a HP DV5 with 4 gigs and 2 mhz dual core. When trying to access online voicemail, I get the following error dialogue (shown in image) https://www.box.com/s/0vhl8vmw3fppv5ipolpc
moxilla plugin check shows quicktime is out of date, but flash, vlc, and totem are all up to date. Windows media player, realplayer, gecko-media player, & divx browser plug-in, & Iced tea-web plugin all say "unknown plugin" research next to them.
any help on how to solve this would be appreciated.

Peace
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint XFCE firefox has "text/html decoder" error

Post by Flemur »

http://askubuntu.com/questions/97360/ho ... -a-browser

BasicallY: "Install GStreamer plugins for mms, wavpack, quicktime, musepack Install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad. After restart of browser and clicking the link it asked to install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg Install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and chromium played the stream."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
tshann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tshann »

Hi Flemur,
Thanks for the replay. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how this is done. I've looked around for these plugins that you mention, and can't find any. When I do ap-cache searches for gstreamer | grep mms (or wavpack, quicktime, etc) it all comes up blank. So I'm obviously looking in the wrong way. In addition, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad is already installed, as well as gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg. So I'm not really sure how to implement your suggestion.
Instructions that detail HOW to install these plugins would be awesome. Anyone?

Peace
igor83

Post by igor83 »

tshann wrote:Hi Flemur,
Thanks for the replay. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how this is done. I've looked around for these plugins that you mention, and can't find any. When I do ap-cache searches for gstreamer | grep mms (or wavpack, quicktime, etc) it all comes up blank. So I'm obviously looking in the wrong way. In addition, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad is already installed, as well as gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg. So I'm not really sure how to implement your suggestion.
Instructions that detail HOW to install these plugins would be awesome. Anyone?

Peace
Open your software manager and look for "gecko".
On LM 14 KDE, the gecko media player is installed by default.
tshann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tshann »

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I've opened up "Software Manager." when searching for Gecko, the following comes up:

gecko-mediaplayer (already installed)
alice
gecko-mediaplayer:i386 (this is a 64 bit rig)
wine-gecko1.4
wine-gecko1.4:386

I'm assuming you were referring to gecko-mediaplayer -- which is installed already. If not, please clarify which one I need to install or if it's something else.
Peace
tshann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tshann »

Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone has a solution to this rather annoying problem. Anyone?

Peace
igor83

Post by igor83 »

tshann wrote:Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone has a solution to this rather annoying problem. Anyone?

Peace
I had difficulty viewing a Flash video the other day, so I disabled all the gecko's etc. in the Firefox Add-ons page, and installed Flash-aid, which is an add-on that downloads the latest version of Linux Adobe Flash beta, although I thought that Adobe stopped developing it a long time ago... at any rate, Flash-aid apparently installs the latest and greatest beta version of Adobe's Linux Flash behind the scenes, where it won't show up on the add-on page or anywhere else. I don't think that is a good practice, but anyway, I watched my video and it seemed to play somewhat better, but still was very jerky and hesitating. In the end, I gave up... it may have just been a bad link or something. I don't think the Flash video was on Youtube.

Anyway, this is just food for thought, that there is an alternative available in the form of Flash-aid for Firefox, but whether it is any better, I have not determined yet.
tshann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tshann »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and suggestion of installing flash-aid. I don't think I'm going to go that route however, b/c flash-aid caused a bit of a mess on another rig (my crunchbang rig) a few months ago. Besides, I suspect the problem has more to do with some idiosyncracy within firefox itself, rather than flash. I say this because of other threads I've seen that hint to this (I just don't know what to DO about it). Also, all flash in this computer works great. But any other ideas would be awesome.

Thanks
igor83

Post by igor83 »

tshann wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the reply and suggestion of installing flash-aid. I don't think I'm going to go that route however, b/c flash-aid caused a bit of a mess on another rig (my crunchbang rig) a few months ago. Besides, I suspect the problem has more to do with some idiosyncracy within firefox itself, rather than flash. I say this because of other threads I've seen that hint to this (I just don't know what to DO about it). Also, all flash in this computer works great. But any other ideas would be awesome.

Thanks
Well, of course one reads everywhere that Chrome does flash well on Linux. The reason Firefox has a problem is it must rely on third-party add-on for Flash support, whereas with Chrome, flash is native. I am not terribly interested in flash, so I don't bother with Chrome. Besides, I really like all of the add-ons available with Firefox. The only thing Firefox does which I find very annoying is opening a new tab makes a mess. With every new Firefox install, I have to go to about:config and teach Firefox not to mess its pants when I open a new tab. Instead, just open my home page. So Firefox needs potty-training, but after that it is ok.

Oh, I watched a video today on my laptop without difficulty. Just a standard-res music video. No flash-aid or anything, just default Shockwave flash, the default install I think for Linux Mint Mate. You know that with high-res, flash is going to suffer with Linux/Firefox because the flash add-ons have not been updated since 2011, I believe. Then to compound the misery, ATI's video driver for Linux isn't that great. I learned early on with Linux to avoid all ATI combinations, and I've been gradually selling those motherboards of mine that have ATI video.

Return to “Xfce”