Installing AMD Radeon Graphics Driver.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JokerFMJ
Level 1
Level 1

Installing AMD Radeon Graphics Driver.

Post by JokerFMJ »

First off, let me apologize as I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve of Linux; hence the likely silly question and the fact that I'm posting it in this forum. That said:

I have a Radeon HD 6970 graphics card, but right now Linux Mint 14 is using a generic graphics card driver. For the most part this driver is fine, but on occassional boots certain letters are missing from the menus. I downloaded the latest driver from the AMD website, but it came in a .run file and Linux can't utilize that file.

I am assuming that I'll have to install the driver through the terminal, but I am lost at where to even begin to do this. I can copy and paste or re-type what people give me, but if I really am to get in to having Linux take over my Windows desktop, learning how to find/determine these strings on my own seems not only worthwhile, but essential.

All that said, does anyone know how to go about installing the ATi driver for my Radeon HD 6970?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sirgod

Re: Installing AMD Radeon Graphics Driver.

Post by sirgod »

I also have a Radeon video card from ATI (specifically, 7470M). I downloaded the lastest stable driver and the beta one. I ended up using the beta driver since it works seamlessly compared to the STABLE one who literally screwed up my display until I removed it and installed the beta driver. You can run it either this way:

Code: Select all

./your_driver_file.run
or

sh your_driver_file.run
Make sure you run the commands as root. If you encounter any issues (permission denied), make the file executable:

chmod + x your_driver_file.run
and then run the file.
JokerFMJ
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing AMD Radeon Graphics Driver.

Post by JokerFMJ »

Thanks a lot. I just got around to actually getting a chance to take care of this and what you said worked perfectly... Granted the ATi Catalyst messed up my monitor configuration, then took my mouse cursor away, and I had to figure all that out, but... It all worked in the end. I just used the chmod +x and ran it as an executable.

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”