Mint 14 and RT2870 chipset

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RicahrdS

Mint 14 and RT2870 chipset

Post by RicahrdS »

All of a sudden over the holidays my Mint 14 installation has not been able to function properly online over my Belkin F5D8053 v3000 USB network adaptor. It was always fine under XP and Mint 11 and works fine under Win8, and it did to begin with under Nadia. But not now. Logs in then logs out and hangs and so forth. And of course won't shut down due to vendor request errors. (not repeated here as they are detailed in numerous other places)

I have spent hours investigating this online (via my very stable Mint 11 based laptop) and it seems that this is a very common problem but nobody seems to be able to resolve it.

As I understand it the kerne in Mint 14 no longer carries the Ralink sta driver for the RT2870 chip found in my dongle and numerous other devices. Instead it ships with the linux wifi rt2x00usb driver which is labelled 'experimental.' But it is the sta driver that appears to be needed.

Yes I've had the vendor request errors, yes I've tired blacklisting various drivers, yes I've read many proposed alleged solutions, most of which I don't understand.

Surely, surely, surely there has to be one solution to this? The problem seems to arise under several distros including Unbuntu and Debian and of course Mint 13/14.

I'm surprised that this issue has not already been resolved by an update as many users are having the problem. Seems to me that the Railink sta driver needs to be added back into the kernal.

Does anybody out there have any idea what to do?

I might be moving back to Windows if I cannot get past this. (I've got Win8 running very sweetly at the moment)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

RichardS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RicahrdS

Re: Mint 14 and RT2870 chipset

Post by RicahrdS »

I've had to make a decision and as I cannot use Mint on line at present, I'm un-installing it until I can spend more time addressing the problem or it is resolved or I can find a distro not affected by this problem.
It's been worth a try.
RichardS

Return to “Networking”