Going to try Cinnamon, Plz Suggest if I'll go on or not!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anubish

Going to try Cinnamon, Plz Suggest if I'll go on or not!

Post by anubish »

I have Linux Mint 14 Nadia with mate! Due to the attractive UI, I've planned to install Cinnamon. Is that OK? Is there any risk of instability?
Please suggest. I'm a newbie!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Going to try Cinnamon, Plz Suggest if I'll go on or not!

Post by viking777 »

Some people say it does, some people say it doesn't - so there is no answer there.

The answer is this.

Install Cinnamon>Are there any instabilities?

Answer = no - job is done.

Answer = yes - ask yourself "which do I like best?"

Answer = Cinnamon>Remove Mate

Answer = Mate> Remove Cinnamon.

Instabilities gone>Enjoy Mint.
Catbuntu

Post by Catbuntu »

If you like Cinnamon, I recommend you installing it. It's not unstable, at least on my computer -and all the modern environments tend to be laggy on it! I'd say it's even less buggy than MATE... I installed MATE because of I like the old Gnome 2 layout, but sometimes I'd like to switch to Cinnamon because there're some very uggly and buggy things :P
So, use whatever you like. Choice is one of the benefits of Linux Mint! :)
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

As the subject is on the table, I just read that :
http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/09/cin ... relevance/
Did he miss the point ?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cinnamon-2d is not an alternative (at least not a viable one); in 2d mode all the rendering will be done by the cpu solving one problem (the dependency of good graphics drivers stack) but creating another (heavy load on the cpu and eventually slowness depending on the cpu power)

that's why we see this in the linuxmint 15 roadmap

Code: Select all

- Rethink Cinnamon 2D, fallback to a non-shadow CPU-less intensive session in software rendering mode and/or Muffin/OpenBox (whatever happens, the user should know he's not running the "real" Cinnamon, he should be told why, and he should find himself with a working WM (even a minimalistic one like OpenBox)).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Getting back to OP's question; you should be able to install Cinnamon as an additional desktop environment on Linux Mint MATE, but it may not give you as fully integrated or as suave an experience as installing Linux Mint Cinnamon. If you want to add Cinnamon to Linux Mint MATE, install the cinnamon, cinnamon-themes, and mint-artwork-cinnamon packages. Recommend you use apt for that from the terminal, and you save the output so you can ask for support here if anything doesn't work quite right yet. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

apt install cinnamon cinnamon-themes mint-artwork-cinnamon
After installation, you should be able to choose to run a Cinnamon session from the login screen (see controls at the bottom).

You could also install Linux Mint Cinnamon alongside your current Linux Mint MATE installation, in its own partition. This way, if you want to continue with only MATE or Cinnamon at some future date, you can just remove either the one or the other partition and increase the remaining partition to absorb the freed up disk space.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

xenopeek wrote:Getting back to OP's question; you should be able to install Cinnamon as an additional desktop environment on Linux Mint MATE, but it may not give you as fully integrated or as suave an experience as installing Linux Mint Cinnamon. If you want to add Cinnamon to Linux Mint MATE, install the cinnamon, cinnamon-themes, and mint-artwork-cinnamon packages. Recommend you use apt for that from the terminal, and you save the output so you can ask for support here if anything doesn't work quite right yet. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

apt install cinnamon cinnamon-themes mint-artwork-cinnamon
After installation, you should be able to choose to run a Cinnamon session from the login screen (see controls at the bottom).

You could also install Linux Mint Cinnamon alongside your current Linux Mint MATE installation, in its own partition. This way, if you want to continue with only MATE or Cinnamon at some future date, you can just remove either the one or the other partition and increase the remaining partition to absorb the freed up disk space.

Why not just install mint-meta-cinnamon ? I thought that was proper way to avoid duplicate entries? It worked for me.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

mint-meta-cinnamon is also a good suggestion, I got lost in the packages somewhere :D I think cinnamon-themes is not installed by mint-meta-cinnamon though, so add that by hand.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I don't think mint-meta-cinnamon is a good suggestion. Last time I tried to add KDE to Cinnamon by installing mint-meta-kde, Synaptic failed to install mint-info-kde, because it conflicts with mint-info-cinnamon which couldn't be removed. After that, every time I installed a package I got an error after they were installed: Failed to process mint-meta-kde. :(
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

abnvolk wrote:I don't think mint-meta-cinnamon is a good suggestion. Last time I tried to add KDE to Cinnamon by installing mint-meta-kde, Synaptic failed to install mint-info-kde, because it conflicts with mint-info-cinnamon which couldn't be removed. After that, every time I installed a package I got an error after they were installed: Failed to process mint-meta-kde. :(
I believe that has to do KDE and cinnamon are built with two different tookits (QT vs GTK). Mate and cinnamon are both use GTK. I installed Cinnamon with no problem on LM 13 Mate but my computer's specs made cinnamon run too slow for liking. I never treid Cinnamon 2d since I'm happy with MATE. I haven't heard of any problems with people using mint-meta cinnamon you experience may be just KDE specific.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “Beginner Questions”