[SOLVED] device for bootloader installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beirapadua

[SOLVED] device for bootloader installation

Post by beirapadua »

i plan to install linuxmint 14 here: /dev/sda1
which is recommended?
installing bootloader in /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda ? what difference does it make??
on my first try i install the bootloader in /dev/sda1 and got a problem on the next reboot.
As soon as the computer reboots: 'file not found: grub rescue >' error is displayed.
please help and advise. thank you :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: device for bootloader installation

Post by viking777 »

You have to install one version of grub to /dev/sda or you will never get anything to boot - ever! If mint is the only distro you have on the machine then it has to go on /dev/sda. If you have another boot loader already on /dev/sda (not counting windows) then you could install to the partition, not otherwise.
beirapadua

Post by beirapadua »

thanks alot viking777.
yes linuxmint is my only distro.
say, out of curiousity, how different is /dev/sda from others like /dev/sda1 etc :?:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

say, out of curiousity, how different is /dev/sda from others like /dev/sda1 etc
/dev/sda is an entire hard disk. /dev/sda1 is a partition, a sub division of an entire disk. Partitions are what enable you to separate out operating systems or maybe personal information so that in the event that you have a problem with one part of a disk it doesn't affect other parts. It is a bit like a desk with different drawers in it. Partitions are very useful, but to extend the desk analogy a bit, there is no point in putting your desk lamp in a draw because you wont see any light from it, it has to go on top of the desk. Bootloaders are the same, at least one of them has to live on top of the desk or otherwise your bios can't find it and can't boot from it.

If you ever install another linux distro you can install its bootloader to a partition (keep it in a drawer in our analogy) because the bootloader on the disk (the top of the desk) is clever enough to look into the partitions (drawers) to find it, but your bios is not clever enough to do that, it is a tiny little chip and is only programmed to look in one place.

You can also put bootloaders onto external disks, even floppies, but let's not complicate things too much.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
beirapadua

Post by beirapadua »

thank you guys.. very informative for a newbie like me
:D
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

viking777 wrote:You have to install one version of grub to /dev/sda or you will never get anything to boot - ever!
This isn't entirely true. In fact, you seem to be aware of at least one exception....
If mint is the only distro you have on the machine then it has to go on /dev/sda. If you have another boot loader already on /dev/sda (not counting windows) then you could install to the partition, not otherwise.
In the BIOS boot scheme, one boot loader sometimes chain loads to another, so as you say, a boot loader in /dev/sda can chain load to a boot loader in /dev/sda1 (or elsewhere). In fact, contrary to what you wrote, Microsoft's boot loader can do this job -- you just need to adjust the boot flags on your disk so that the partition that holds GRUB is marked as bootable and the Windows partition is not marked as bootable. This type of configuration is uncommon with GRUB 2, though; it's usually installed to the MBR (typically /dev/sda). This is quite different from saying that it must be installed to the MBR.

Another exception is EFI-based computers, which don't use boot code in the MBR at all; they use files stored on the EFI System Partition (ESP). Although most existing computers don't support EFI, most new computers do, so it's important to acknowledge their existence and determine if somebody asking a question has such a system. To that end: beirapadua, how old is your computer? Did it come with Windows pre-installed, and if so, what version? Please post the output of "sudo parted /dev/sda print" from a Linux emergency disc. This information will help us determine whether you need to install a BIOS boot loader or an EFI boot loader.
beirapadua

Post by beirapadua »

thanks alot :D
viking777

Post by viking777 »

As always what you say is unimpeachable srs, but you have to read between the lines a bit. The OP has been offered a choice of installing his boot loader in /dev/sda or /dev/sda1. Is there ever a case where a whole disk (/dev/sda) can be an ESP? I personally doubt it. Not only that, but if this were a Uefi system and /dev/sda1 was his ESP then when he installed his bootloader there the system should have booted anyway- and it didn't.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

viking777 wrote:As always what you say is unimpeachable srs, but you have to read between the lines a bit. The OP has been offered a choice of installing his boot loader in /dev/sda or /dev/sda1. Is there ever a case where a whole disk (/dev/sda) can be an ESP? I personally doubt it. Not only that, but if this were a Uefi system and /dev/sda1 was his ESP then when he installed his bootloader there the system should have booted anyway- and it didn't.
I've seen so many buggy installers that I can't keep track of them all. Some of them have continued to offer the sda/sda1 type distinction even for EFI installations to which that distinction is completely irrelevant. Making assumptions in the face of such bugs is a road to wasted effort.
beirapadua

Re: [SOLVED] device for bootloader installation

Post by beirapadua »

sori srs,, i didnt read the whole line but this is the output of what u asked for:
Model: ATA ST500LM012 HN-M5 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 25.6GB 25.6GB primary ext4 boot
2 25.6GB 230GB 205GB primary ext4
abdulhakim

Post by abdulhakim »

Does the bootloader have to be on sda specifically, or just the disk that you're installing Linux Mint to?

For example, I want to install Linux Mint to my SSD, but it's actually sdc instead of sda. Is this okay? Or does it HAVE to be sda, regardless of what drive sda actually is?
gizmo69

Post by gizmo69 »

Why can't someone make a easy guide of all steps installing linux mint? we have to search for a lot of answers...I don't want to risk pc not booting up...
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

gizmo69 wrote:Why can't someone make a easy guide of all steps installing linux mint? we have to search for a lot of answers...I don't want to risk pc not booting up...
There are too many variables:
  • There are two boot modes: EFI vs. BIOS. Thus, two installation paths.
  • Do you have Windows installed already? Yes or No, that doubles the number of paths, to four.
  • There are two bit depths: 32-bit vs. 64-bit. (Never mind exotic architectures.) This multiplies options by two, so now eight paths.
  • There are multiple firmware manufacturers, each of which has its own quirks. Let's say three manufacturers, so multiply 8 x 3 = 24 paths.
  • There are three major video chipset manufacturers (Intel, AMD/ATI, and Nvidia), so multiply 24 x 3 = 72 paths.
  • There are countless quirks related to number of disks installed, motherboard chipsets, etc.
In sum, there are so many options that a "cookbook" approach to installing Mint (or any Linux distribution) will work for a tiny fraction of all computers. An author can cover only a limited set of options and then leave the rest to hand-waving and point the reader towards other resources. Even just the first two or three variables I've noted, which are the ones with the most "in-your-face" differences, create a large number of options to be followed. Also, considering the number of variables, how many people have firsthand knowledge with them all? Not many. That can actually be quite dangerous -- somebody with limited experience might write up a procedure and think it will work for everybody, when in fact it will break for most people because the procedure relies on uncommon quirks.
ajaya123

Post by ajaya123 »

it is good to know and we want to know at least two thing as u say grub for
1) mbr vs uefi
and secound
2) windows preinstall or not
your help will be apriciated , thanks
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

ajaya123 wrote:.
The "Device for boot loader installation" should be ...

1. the internal hard-drive or /sda or /nvmeOn1 for Legacy BIOS/MBR(ms-dos) install mode,
2. the EFI System Partition(= fat32/104MB-550MB/mount-point is boot/efi or flagged as boot.esp) = /sda1 or nvmeOn1p1 for UEFI/GPT install mode.
ajaya123

Post by ajaya123 »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:44 pm 1. the internal hard-drive or /sda or /nvmeOn1 for Legacy BIOS/MBR(ms-dos) install mode,
2. the EFI System Partition(= fat32/104MB-550MB/mount-point is boot/efi or flagged as boot.esp) = /sda1 or nvmeOn1p1 for UEFI/GPT install mode.
my pc with msdos ,
in vdi of vb by gparted i made vdi gpt
choose vb >system> efi
made fat 32 2048mb
installar said mint dont allow to fat32 make one as supported like ext4
i ignored it and after restart it said nothing not even giving option of grub
mint 18.3

Return to “Installation & Boot”