Monochrome Laser Printer suggestion please

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barbaros_akkurt

Monochrome Laser Printer suggestion please

Post by barbaros_akkurt »

Hello,
I am a 1-week Linux Mint user, previously I had some experience on OpenSUSE for 3 years. I am trying to get my Samsung ML-1675 monochrome laser printer at the workplace to use with Linux Mint, some Ubuntu forums helped to get some printouts finally, but I have some problems. First, the default PDF reader Okular fails to print out. I have to import the PDF into GIMP and print from there. Secondly, the printing time is very slow. I remember being successful on OpenSUSE very long time ago and I don't remember how to do this. I have also provided some information to Samsung Turkey team for any help.
I am considering purchasing a monochrome laser printer at home, which laser printer is most compatible with GNU/Linux and specifically Linux Mint? Which is your favourite?
Thank you for your help.
BA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Monochrome Laser Printer suggestion please

Post by nomko »

I found this and since Mint is based on Ubuntu....: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1834473

And here a post on this forum: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=107026
nomko

Post by nomko »

I found some Linux drivers on the Dutch support site of Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/nl/support/model ... -downloads

When the page is opened, click on the link "Stuurprogramma" at the left site. This will open the page with the drivers and at the bottom you find the Linux drivers.

For all non-Dutch folks: Stuurprogramma means driver :wink:
barbaros_akkurt

Post by barbaros_akkurt »

Thank you for replies. I have visited some of the links before, especially the linux driver and panel software at the Dutch site does not seem to work. Especially the panel software fails to work with this message:
/opt/Samsung/SmartPanel/bin/smartpanel: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I think I need to install some libraries to solve this problem.
My second problem is that my printer works, but with so slowness. I think this is due to a wrong driver. I chose ML-1670spl, which seems to be the closest one to ML-1675, and this is the result I get.
Any ideas?

Second question: What is the best monochrome laser printer to work with Linux? Samsung has some problems, I believe, but maybe some other models than ML-1675 might work. I am considering Xerox, HP and OKI. What do you think about them?

Thank you
BA
nomko

Post by nomko »

barbaros_akkurt wrote:Thank you for replies. I have visited some of the links before, especially the linux driver and panel software at the Dutch site does not seem to work. Especially the panel software fails to work with this message:
/opt/Samsung/SmartPanel/bin/smartpanel: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
You need to install this package: libstdc++5. This can be done by the following terminal command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
When you get the message that more package will be installed, press Y. Those packages are dependencies of libstdc++5.
After installing libstdc++5, re-install the printer drivers.
barbaros_akkurt wrote:My second problem is that my printer works, but with so slowness. I think this is due to a wrong driver. I chose ML-1670spl, which seems to be the closest one to ML-1675, and this is the result I get.
Any ideas?
YEs, if you did select the wrong driver than this might end up in a not fully working printer. Always be sure to select the correct driver.
barbaros_akkurt wrote:Second question: What is the best monochrome laser printer to work with Linux? Samsung has some problems, I believe, but maybe some other models than ML-1675 might work. I am considering Xerox, HP and OKI. What do you think about them?
HP works out-of-the-box! Never had any serious issues with HP. And if you have some problems, updating the HPLIP driver manually solves most of all the issues. I always update the HPLIP driver manually after installing a new and fresh Mint installation.

Return to “Hardware Support”