LM14 Xfce running Cinnamon?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CorkVDH

LM14 Xfce running Cinnamon?

Post by CorkVDH »

(Don't know if this should be in the "newbie" forum or here...)

I first installed "Nadia" with Cinnamon on my HP Mini 311 netbook (my first modern experience with Linux); loved it, but it was slower than I would like. Tried Bodhi Linux but Enlightenment was a complete turn-off. So I installed LM14 Xfce - and thought I was done. Until I tried to print - 4 minutes to print a page. And of course I can't get network shares to stay persistent in Thunar. Frustrated, I tried "apt install nemo" and now I can boot into Cinnamon or Xfce; in Cinnamon I can print and see the network immediately, but even the 2D version is slow. In Thunar, well, it's still crippled.

So what do I really have now? Is LM14 Xfce running Cinnamon the same thing as just installing LM14 Cinnamon? Or are there other differences in the core system?

I'm also thinking of loading LXDE to see whether it combines the responsiveness of Xfce with the usefulness of Cinnamon. Are there other DE's I should try?

Thanks,
Cork
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LM14 Xfce running Cinnamon?

Post by jungle_boy »

CorkVDH wrote: So what do I really have now? Is LM14 Xfce running Cinnamon the same thing as just installing LM14 Cinnamon? Or are there other differences in the core system?

I'm also thinking of loading LXDE to see whether it combines the responsiveness of Xfce with the usefulness of Cinnamon. Are there other DE's I should try?

Thanks,
Cork
You have a cinnamon running with some xfce libraries, settings, etc. Install pure cinnamon is better.

From heavier to lighter DE: KDE; cinnamon, xfce, lxde.

The less configurable to more configurable: lxde; xfce; cinnamon; KDE
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

jungle_boy wrote:
You have a cinnamon running with some xfce libraries, settings, etc. Install pure cinnamon is better.

From heavier to lighter DE: KDE; cinnamon, xfce, lxde.

The less configurable to more configurable: lxde; xfce; cinnamon; KDE
Great informative answer! Just to see I installed Cinnamon 14 alone then with XFCE on my flash drive and noticed the difference. Is there anyway to restrict Cinnamon to only using its own libraries or must one totally flush out XFCE (and how) to get the horsepower back? Also, where does MATE rate on your scale?

Jim in NYC
frsu

Post by frsu »

Try Mate and you will see. It is complete and fast.
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

frsu wrote:Try Mate and you will see. It is complete and fast.
Thanks! Again, I'm just experimenting; once my above question is solved to see if such can be done, I'd like to move on replacing Cinnamon with MATE then, but can I do this via Synapse upgrade or have to re-install it on my flash drive which is a royal pain to do! Thanks!

Jim in NYC
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Excuse-me jimwg;

I forgot MATE;

From heavier to lighter DE: KDE; cinnamon, MATE, xfce, lxde.

The less configurable to more configurable: lxde; xfce; cinnamon; KDE, MATE

MATE is more stable and easier to configure. For production is my favorite.

Just an observation: bluetooth dongles works fine in KDE, I can send and receive a file PC/cell-phone, in xfce, mate and cinnamon, I only can receive a file in my cell-phone, send to PC, never.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Xfce”