[SOLVED] How to check ink levels in canon pixma ip2700

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkLaw19

[SOLVED] How to check ink levels in canon pixma ip2700

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Hello to all.. I bought canon ip2700 printer recently and downloaded and installed its ubuntu drivers from its website to my lm13 maya.. The printing was ok but how can i check my printer ink levels? I used ink -p usb but not working..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How to check ink levels in canon pixma ip2700

Post by pdc_2 »

http://www.turboprint.info/download.html

treat yourself to turboprint; go on; you know you deserve it;

everyone needs to put food on the table; they charge; as they have done printer drivers since the 1980s; supporting the Amiga initially; you get a very good product with full printer driver controlability
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Thanks for the reply.

But the thing is that this Turboprint requires us to purchase the license in order to pass the trial license, and based on the payment needed to get one of this license, it is rather expensive.

I'll try it first to see if it is working or not. I'll post the results of my testing here although it doesn't seem to have problems though. In the meantime, i'll look for another alternatives for this problem.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

But the thing is that this Turboprint requires us to purchase the license in order to pass the trial license
Uh?

http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_ ... tml?arch=0

I had always understood you could have a 30 day trial ..for free ..
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Oh right, it has 30 days trial for free. But how can i use it for a very long time? What should i do when the trial days have been used up? It will be a very useful application if i could use it for a long time.
Clovis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Clovis »

I've just spent a few days wrestling with the installation of a PIXMA MP560. As part of the fun, I found out that the drivers include a useful little utility cngpijmonmp560 which launches a GUI status window for the printer, which includes ink levels.

You might try typing cngpijmonip2700 <your printer name> in a terminal window just to see what happens. Though if it wasn't referenced in the Canon documentation I suppose it won't exist.

Clovis
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Well Clovis thanks for the tip.. I used that before but what i get is 'Ready.' message even after i printed something. In my Canon manuals, it asks me to type:

Code: Select all

cngpijmonip2700 IP2700
But then, i got a window saying Ready. After i printed something, still it gives me a status Ready. in that window.

Turboprint works great anyway, but it can only be used during the trial period. After the trial period every pages printed with Turboprint will have Turboprint logo on it, thats what some people says although i'm not sure about that since i haven't reach the expiry date yet. Any tweaks like trial resetter or something is really much appreciated even though i don't think its nice to do that.
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Erm, i think i can use INK to check the ink levels for my printer. I deleted the installed printer driver, update my system and then reinstall the Canon printer driver and then when i try to use INK again, that is "ink -p usb", it works!

So far everything is ok. I'm just curious is there any free source for Turboprint? Turboprint itself is impressive and really cuaght my eye, but it is only valid for 30 days! Then i have to buy a license which i don't want to, but if there is none, it should be fine for me.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOLVED] How to check ink levels in canon pixma ip2700

Post by pdc_2 »

I'm just curious is there any free source for Turboprint?
Mark: when the adjective "free" is used with the word linux, it means freedom to do ............ so it is free............as in speech............but NOT free...................as in beer............

.......it doesn't always mean: cost nothing

Turboprint is owned by the turboprint folks............they have put food on the table this way for a number of years............they were supporting the Commodore Amiga back in the 1980s............ so they would ask you to buy their product .. in the way you yourself would hope someone would buy the products of the company you work for?
blackest_knight

Post by blackest_knight »

That is one seriously expensive driver, a €149 driver for a €15 (€30 new printer) The alternative of use the free driver for linux or the official driver from canon using windows makes a great deal more sense. Even the home version at €49 is way over priced and crippled to boot.

Yes Linux is free as in freedom not necessarily free as in beer but looks like a binary blob of a printer driver, isn't that the straw that set the gnu in motion?

The third alternative would be to buy a new better supported printer.
sorry freedom also means free to choose the solution which suits me and turboprint is not it
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

I agree with you on that one. This driver is seriously expensive for such a cheap printer. Anyway, as long as i get the printer to run on this linux mint and are able to print some documents it should be fine. The provided driver from the Canon website should do the trick.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

.........come on chaps.....................

the Turboprint you need is €29

http://zedonet.com/en_shop_turboprint.phtml

Return to “Printers & Scanners”