Good simple code editor needed...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Foomandoonian

Good simple code editor needed...

Post by Foomandoonian »

Can anyone recommend a good but simple code editor. I'm sure there are a wealth of these available for Linux. I don't want a wysiwyg like KompoZer, or something as epic as emacs. On Windows I used Notepad++, which was perfect for me. I'd rather not use Wine though.

I currently like gedit, but it's a little too basic!

Which are the goodies? :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Good simple code editor needed...

Post by Fred »

Foomandoonian,

vi or nano are always good choices for command line programs. I find myself using kate more and more. It is a KDE GUI editor and the last few releases have made it more and more useful to me.

I am sure you will get at least as many opinions as people responding. It is whatever you feel comfortable with.

Fred
Foomandoonian

Post by Foomandoonian »

Fred wrote:Foomandoonian,

vi or nano are always good choices for command line programs. I find myself using kate more and more. It is a KDE GUI editor and the last few releases have made it more and more useful to me.

I am sure you will get at least as many opinions as people responding. It is whatever you feel comfortable with.

Fred
Thanks for that Fred. I'll give Kate a go.

vi or nano, eh? I've never used a command line app. I guess I should at least give one a go :)

Cheers
Fred

Post by Fred »

Foomandoonian,

CLI apps. in Linux/Unix tend to be fast, powerful, full featured, have a steeper learning curve, and are not near as pretty as GUI apps. :-)

Fred
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

personally I like Gedit, it does everything I need it to do, I don't need all the sidebars for editing an xml file, just the basics is good.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I love nano for all my editing needs, lightening fast, easy to use and no cumbersome GUI...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I just found SciTE (their spelling/caps, not mine) while browsing other forums. It is in our repositories and can be set to format for over two dozen different languages. From a (very) quick look-see, it looks pretty impressive.
Foomandoonian

Post by Foomandoonian »

I've used Kate for an evening now and I'm pretty happy with it. I like the look and feel of KDE apps, but they all seem to be pretty sluggish (Amarok is particularly slow!).

That aside, Kate seems to have all the features I need, but still pretty simple. Great find for me, thanks to all who suggested it. :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

Foomandoonian,

A lot of KDE apps seem to be a bit sluggish when run in the Gnome environment. If you like KDE apps, as I tend to, you might try using the Mint 4 KDE CE version. That is what I am using and it is very nice. Boo and helpers did a nice job on it.

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I agree whole heatily!
Caps18

Post by Caps18 »

I like Eclipse, but it isn't exactly small or simple.

Return to “Beginner Questions”