The unofficial LMDE XFCE - startup

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjaythomas

Re: The unofficial LMDE XFCE

Post by jjaythomas »

Another thought...

You may want to include 'remastersys' (wheezy ones working good) for convience of testing moving (to other computers) and easy virtual boxing. This crowd (me included) wil be doing alot of thing (read hacking), and this a easy backup.

Maybe?
J.Jay
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I just started a new thread for the unofficial LMDE KDE: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=121058

That means that I can spend more time on the unofficial LMDE Xfce :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:That means that I can spend more time on the unofficial LMDE Xfce :D
and i can surely speak for me and and a few more :lol: we are eagerly waiting for a download link (take all the time you need :wink: )
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:
Schoelje wrote:That means that I can spend more time on the unofficial LMDE Xfce :D
and i can surely speak for me and and a few more :lol: we are eagerly waiting for a download link (take all the time you need :wink: )
No pressure...
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Just to let you know I'm working on the unofficial LMDE Xfce.

Being used to the KDE desktop, my first impressions of Xfce are:
  • Configuring is a pain: a lot of XML and no (or not figured out yet) way to configure programmatically.
  • Theming is troublesome: icons do partially show the selected theme.
  • lightDM theming: only shows the background correctly.
...but I'm getting closer by each baby step.

If anyone can point me in the right direction (explanatory sites), I would appreciate it.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

I'd guess you know about the XFCE wiki, but just in case your not familiar with it.

The XFCE how to:
http://wiki.xfce.org/howto

General wiki
http://wiki.xfce.org/

Have fun.
I dont have the skills to be of much help, but you have a ready tester here, when your ready... :wink:

I get most of my XFCE (4.10) stuff from the Siduction (xfcenext) repo
http://packages.siduction.org/?Reposito ... next_amd64
Siduction repos
http://packages.siduction.org/?Repositories
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Is there a lightweight user manager?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I hope this question gets more response than my previous one. :(

I'm working on the unofficial LMDE KDE with Xfce 4.10.
There are some very odd things happening, but here's one I just want to show you (better than explaining):
You see, this is the xfce4-terminal running live without hostname and username, no history and no colors.
There is no terminal related configuration in the user directory.
The strange code you see after "$" are the arrow keys.

Who knows what's happening and how to solve this?

[EDIT]
I had a similar issue when I was working on LMDE KDE: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 10#p632210
My solution then to start all over again didn't work this time :evil:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Unfortunately, I haven't found any xfce user managers, and I honestly am not sure about the terminal, as I've never had that happen. The only thing I can think of (and AFAIK this wouldn't cause such a problem) is that it appears to be running under KDE. The arrow keys are normal AFAIK (I've had them on gnome terminal and xfce4-terminal), but I've only ever had the hostname not appear when running in a VM and it taking a few seconds for the terminal to "load."
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Just managed to get on line. My computer is having hardware problems (thinking its power source right now).
I am on an ancient Single Core P4
Running OZ Unity.... :lol:
That hasn't been updated (nor any longer supported) for over a year.

I'll be back when I get things sorted. It will take a while to get a power supply shipped out here to the Maine 'woods"... :?

Code: Select all

gene@Zordon:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host: Zordon Kernel: 2.6.32-33-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome 2.30.2 Distro: Ubuntu 10.04 lucid
Machine:   System: Dell product: Precision WorkStation 370
           Mobo: Dell model: 0M3849 Bios: Dell version: A08 date: 07/07/2006
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) clocked at 2992.440 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: nVidia G72 [GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS] X.Org: 1.7.6 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1680x1050@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 195.36.24
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: Intel ICH Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.21
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 00:13:20:0b:70:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 42.0GB (21.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST340014AS size: 40.0GB 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: STORAGE_DEVICE size: 2.0GB 
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I hope you get back to a decent machine soon, although single core P4s are my favorites, literally :lol: . My old gateway desktop with a P4 has amazing hard ware support from every linux distro on the planet (except those with kernel 3.0), although that is more due to intel graphics. With lighter distros and DEs like debian and arch (for distros) and OpenBox, E17, LXDE, and Xfce (for DEs and WMs) it runs faster than any modern Windows PC even with like 490 MB of RAM :lol: . Anyways, good luck :D .
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi cww... :D

Yes, runs surprisingly, very well. Unbelievable how heavy this old Dell box is, and how rugged.
Now on another partition. LMDE/xfce(201109) that hasn't been updated in over a year. 1240 packages to upgrade (tracking testing)... :lol:
Think I will wait till tomorrow..
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Hey Gene Hello (you helped me a few times)

You may want to try 'SparkyLinux' on your old Dell. Its based directly on Debian testing and Uses LXDE (although I Sucessfully installed xfce) and most mint packages can be got from their 'online' debian repo. :)

J.Jay
P.S. change mirror from Poland (unless their)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I had some more time today, so I have been searching for the explanation of the terminal problem. Here is a Debian bug report that appears to be similar, although little information is given and this is with version 0.4.8 (I'm assuming you're using 0.6.0): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=695650. There are a few bug reports about problems due to the terminal window not being large enough for the prompt, and I found one slackware problem where text couldn't be entered. Are you using Xfce 4.8 or 4.10 (and, if 4.10, from experimental or siduction)? My next plans are to test ddm and dpm on my laptop and on my old gateway again, and then to try to find some user manager (I may install some Xfce distros and see what they use).
Last edited by cwwgateway on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Okay, so I've looked at Sabayon 10 Xfce, and it has a program called "Privilege granting", but I can't figure out what it actually does :( . It seems to have something to do with su and sudo, but nothing seems to change when changing settings. Here is a screenshot of it:
Otherwise, the only thing of note was there application selection, and specifically the inclusion of a firewall application/gui. Here are the differences and applications that may have been debated at some point (and just some other random ones):

-Accessories-
Archive Manager
gnote
leafpad
-Graphics-
GIMP
Ristretto
Shotwell
-Internet-
Midori
-Multimedia-
Exaile
-Office-
ePDFViewer
LibreOffice
-System-
Firewall Manager
Edit: Mint 13 Xfce also doesn't appear to have a user/groups app.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I just checked Snow Linux 3.1 Xfce, SalineOS 1.7 Xfce, and Manjaro 0.8.2 (0.8.3 is downloading right now) Xfce, and none of them have user/groups apps. Manjaro also had the Privilege granting application, but otherwise nothing. Manjaro, Sabayon, and maybe Saline were my shining examples of Xfce, so I'm at a loss. I'll try Voyager, but at this point I don't know (other than using the command line).
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

jjaythomas wrote:Hey Gene Hello (you helped me a few times)

You may want to try 'SparkyLinux' on your old Dell. Its based directly on Debian testing and Uses LXDE (although I Sucessfully installed xfce) and most mint packages can be got from their 'online' debian repo. :)

J.Jay
P.S. change mirror from Poland (unless their)
Hey JJ.... :)

Thanks, but I gotta agree with CWW. These old P4's are very surprising. I installed Nadia XFCE 32 bit, and its running most excellent. I am running docky, I have lots of gnome apps as well, and no performance problems whatsoever... :shock: Graphics are great with the old Nvidia card.
I am in no rush at all to fix the old computer... :lol:
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

cwwgateway wrote:I had some more time today, so I have been searching for the explanation of the terminal problem. Here is a Debian bug report that appears to be similar, although little information is given and this is with version 0.4.8 (I'm assuming you're using 0.6.0): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=695650. There are a few bug reports about problems due to the terminal window not being large enough for the prompt, and I found one slackware problem where text couldn't be entered. Are you using Xfce 4.8 or 4.10 (and, if 4.10, from experimental or siduction)? My next plans are to test ddm and dpm on my laptop and on my old gateway again, and then to try to find some user manager (I may install some Xfce distros and see what they use).
I'm still at it, but it only occurs while running live: once installed, all's fine.
So, I'm thinking about uploading a alpha version of the unofficial LMDE Xfce in the hope you guys can find out what's wrong and test the iso thoroughly (my wife and kids are starting to complain that the see the back of my head more often then the front).
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Schoelje

Why not use mate-system-tools (for users groups. Its what Nadia XFCE is using.)

Description
Nowadays there are tools for managing:
- Users and groups
- Date and time
- Network options
- Services
- Shares (NFS and Samba)

----------------------------
About the MATE System Tools
----------------------------

- Fork:

MATE System Tools package is a fork of GNOME System Τοols package.

- Targeted to desktop users:

These tools are intended to simplify the tasks of configuring a Unix system
for workstations. They are not intended for configuring Unix servers.

- Unified system configuration:

Configuring different Unix systems is different; every Unix system has
different ways of being administrated. The MATE System Tools aspire to
unify these systems.

- Multi-platform:

Each one of the MATE System Tools is split in two parts: a backend (which
is typically written in Perl) and a user interface frontend (which is
typically written in C or Python).

The backends are written in a way that should allow us to quickly adapt
them to various different flavors of Unix; the backend probes your system
and parses the existing system files. When the user has finished editing
the system settings, the configuration is written back as patches to the
system files.

This means that the MATE System Tools use whatever configuration files are
available on your system, and you can still edit those files by hand or
with other configuration tools without conflicts or data loss.

----------

apt-cache policy mate-system-tools
mate-system-tools:
  Installed: 1.4.0-1+precise
  Candidate: 1.4.0-1+precise
  Version table:
 *** 1.4.0-1+precise 0
        700 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ nadia/import i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
GitHub
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-system-tools
Last edited by GeneC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

GeneC wrote:Schoelje

Why not use mate-system-tools (for users groups. Its what Nadia XFCE is using.
That sounds like a really good idea :D . I feel like I should have thought of that...
Schoelje wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:I had some more time today, so I have been searching for the explanation of the terminal problem. Here is a Debian bug report that appears to be similar, although little information is given and this is with version 0.4.8 (I'm assuming you're using 0.6.0): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=695650. There are a few bug reports about problems due to the terminal window not being large enough for the prompt, and I found one slackware problem where text couldn't be entered. Are you using Xfce 4.8 or 4.10 (and, if 4.10, from experimental or siduction)? My next plans are to test ddm and dpm on my laptop and on my old gateway again, and then to try to find some user manager (I may install some Xfce distros and see what they use).
I'm still at it, but it only occurs while running live: once installed, all's fine.
So, I'm thinking about uploading a alpha version of the unofficial LMDE Xfce in the hope you guys can find out what's wrong and test the iso thoroughly (my wife and kids are starting to complain that the see the back of my head more often then the front).
I'd love to try an alpha version, and it will probably help to diagnose the terminal problem, as all of the Debian live CDs with the exception of siduction's run Xfce 4.8 and xfce4-terminal 0.4.8.

Return to “Chat about Linux”