The unofficial LMDE XFCE - startup

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Re: The unofficial LMDE XFCE

Post by zerozero »

regarding user management have to agree with Gene: either mate-system-tools or gnome-system-tools
actually the last one is the answer given in all the topics i found with similar question
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1981484
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=20487
http://www.barrytrujillo.com/wordpress/?p=281
(there's more, i stopped here :lol: )
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

GeneC wrote:Why not use mate-system-tools (for users groups. Its what Nadia XFCE is using.)
It'll install 52MB of dependencies:

Code: Select all

The following extra packages will be installed:
  libcaja-extension libexempi3 libmarco libmateconf libmatecorba libmatedesktop
  libmatekbd libmatemenu libmatenotify libmatepolkit liboobs-1-5 libunique-1.0-0
  libxklavier16 mate-conf mate-conf-common mate-control-center mate-corba
  mate-desktop mate-desktop-common mate-desktop-gnome mate-icon-theme mate-menus
  mate-polkit mate-settings-daemon mate-settings-daemon-common
  mate-settings-daemon-gstreamer system-tools-backends
Suggested packages:
  ntp
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libcaja-extension libexempi3 libmarco libmateconf libmatecorba libmatedesktop
  libmatekbd libmatemenu libmatenotify libmatepolkit liboobs-1-5 libunique-1.0-0
  libxklavier16 mate-conf mate-conf-common mate-control-center mate-corba
  mate-desktop mate-desktop-common mate-desktop-gnome mate-icon-theme mate-menus
  mate-polkit mate-settings-daemon mate-settings-daemon-common
  mate-settings-daemon-gstreamer mate-system-tools system-tools-backends
0 upgraded, 28 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 22.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 52.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
But I'll include it and see what the people think about it.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje if you try with the

--no-install-recommends
flag will it be functional the same?

sudo apt-get -s install --no-install-recommends mate-system-tools
[sudo] password for zerozero: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libcaja-extension libexempi3 libmateconf libmatecorba libmatedesktop
  libmatepolkit liboobs-1-5 libunique-1.0-0 mate-polkit
  system-tools-backends
Suggested packages:
  ntp
Recommended packages:
  mate-control-center
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libcaja-extension libexempi3 libmateconf libmatecorba libmatedesktop
  libmatepolkit liboobs-1-5 libunique-1.0-0 mate-polkit
  mate-system-tools system-tools-backends
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Personally, I'd support either method, although having as few MATE dependencies as possible is probably preferable.

Edit: Just installed on my Debian NetInst (after adding the Mint repo) using the --no-install-recommends flag and it does not appear in the menu nor can I launch it from the terminal, unless I'm using the wrong command. I'm going to troubleshoot later when I have time.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

zerozero wrote:regarding user management have to agree with Gene: either mate-system-tools or gnome-system-tools
taking back what i wrote here
this pull request (already merged into mate-system-tools is another (as if we needed yet another one :mrgreen: ) example of gnome's clever decisions.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

cwwgateway wrote:................
Edit: Just installed on my Debian NetInst (after adding the Mint repo) using the --no-install-recommends flag and it does not appear in the menu nor can I launch it from the terminal, unless I'm using the wrong command. I'm going to troubleshoot later when I have time.
Try

gene@nadia ~ $ mate-users-admin

(mate-users-admin:6368): Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error communicating asynchronously with the backends: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 255

Dont know about the WARNING... :roll:
It opens 'Users and Groups", just fine..
Yeah,,, I have trouble myself communicating with MY backend.... :lol:
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

GeneC wrote:Yeah,,, I have trouble myself communicating with MY backend.... :lol:
:shock: :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yeahh i just found those as well :D

/usr/bin
/usr/bin/mate-users-admin
/usr/bin/mate-shares-admin
/usr/bin/mate-time-admin
/usr/bin/mate-services-admin
/usr/bin/mate-network-admin
funny enough in the system i tried this (lmde-kde in VB) the only that i can't open is users and groups (using the no install recommends)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

actually rebooting the VM solved the problem

zerozero@deb-kde-vb ~ $ mate-users-admin

(mate-users-admin:3058): Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error communicating asynchronously with the backends: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 255

(mate-users-admin:3058): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(mate-users-admin:3058): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(mate-users-admin:3058): Liboobs-CRITICAL **: oobs_user_is_in_group: assertion `OOBS_IS_GROUP (group)' failed

zerozero@deb-kde-vb ~ $ 
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I'm building a new iso with the mate packages to test if that's working.

To get back to the biggest frustration: the no prompt in terminal (and no history).
If I run "sudo xfce4-terminal", a new terminal is opened...with prompt :?
So, it's a permissions issue?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

The terminal issue has been solved!

I was manually checking the conf files in /etc, and also passwd.
Where I found this line:

mint:x:1000:1000::/home/mint:/bin/shell
Can you see what's wrong? :wink:

[EDIT]
After posting, I saw that zerozero also found the solution (in a slightly different form).
I'm uploading the alpha version now, but it'll take about 6 hours - tomorrow (it's 1AM here).
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Schoelje wrote:

mint:x:1000:1000::/home/mint:/bin/shell
Can you see what's wrong? :wink:
hmm
just checked a few of my /etc/passwd...in various partitions
myname:x:1000:1000:mypassword:/home/wayne:/bin/bash
always end with /bin/bash
$ /bin/shell
bash: /bin/shell: No such file or directory
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Ok mate-users-admin is working now, although I did have to reboot after installing (either that or it didn't like running as root... not sure which). I'm glad some problems are being worked out. Are there any other problems you are having, that I could help with (especially ones that are easy to fix :D )? Otherwise, I'll be testing dpm and ddm.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I looked back and found the bullet about LightDM theming, so here is a lightdm thread where it is kind of discussed:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=102716
I used the directions in the second post, using the theme "greybird" and icon theme "Faenza-Dark" and it is working nicely. I haven't rebooted though, so I don't know if it holds after reboot (although I'd assume it would).
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Gene
Thanks, but I gotta agree with CWW. These old P4's are very surprising. I installed Nadia XFCE 32 bit, and its running most excellent. I am running docky, I have lots of gnome apps as well, and no performance problems whatsoever... :shock: Graphics are great with the old Nvidia card.
I am in no rush at all to fix the old computer... :lol:
Wasn't impling anything :oops:
Just thought 'Sparky' a good testing (rolling) debian and upgrades to Xfce very well. 2 thing you seem to like

J.Jay
P.S. Need something to pass time waiting on 'unofficial LMDE-Xfce' (worth wait tho)I don't think I can contribute much to project (knowledge wise) otherwise
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

cwwgateway wrote:I looked back and found the bullet about LightDM theming, so here is a lightdm thread where it is kind of discussed:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=102716
I used the directions in the second post, using the theme "greybird" and icon theme "Faenza-Dark" and it is working nicely. I haven't rebooted though, so I don't know if it holds after reboot (although I'd assume it would).
Nice, I'm going to check that out!
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I've uploaded the alpha version:

http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdexfce32_u ... 201301.iso
md5sum: f038f92822fba0f232e8e803bd6c05c1
836MB

This version has been created from the ground up: debian standard.
It is very probable that you'll miss packages you had in the official LMDE Xfce: post that here.
The look and feel is in line with the unofficial LMDE KDE so that everybody knows they are from the same family.

When you want to test this iso, try to focus on software (behaving badly or not at all), driver support, missing packages, but also packages that are not needed (to slim down the iso further).

There are two graphical issues (that I'm aware off now):
  1. When browsing the network there are no icons for the network servers in any icon theme I tried.
    If you can find out which name (should be "/usr/share/icons/oxygen/[pixelsize]/places/network-server.png", but obviously isn't anymore) is used to load the image, I'd be very happy.
  2. The oxygen theme has an annoying feature I can't do anything about (it's in the binary engine):
    It automatically shows the oxygen icons, and switching to another icon theme while the oxygen theme is selected, won't do a thing (no errors either).
    To switch to another icon theme you need to select another theme, the icon theme of your choice (still won't show), logout and login back again.
  3. Terminal colors are not set by .bashrc
All issues WITH solution are appreciated and praised by yours truly! :D
Last edited by Schoelje on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

jjaythomas wrote: ......Wasn't impling anything :oops:
Just thought 'Sparky' a good testing (rolling) debian and upgrades to Xfce very well. 2 thing you seem to like

J.Jay
Hey JJ....

Heck, please do not misunderstand... :? I appreciate your post. May just have a look at old 'Sparky', just surprised and thrilled at how well even Nadia XFCE performs on this old box. Hell, I may even have to dig out (literally) my OLD P3.... :lol:

Be Well, my friend.
-----------
P.S. Oops.
Just saw that Unofficial LMDE/XFCE Alpha is ready. "Sparky" will have to wait a while....
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I found another graphical issue:
  • Terminal colors are not set by .bashrc
I tried to use the bashrc from LMDE KDE but I couldn't get that to work at all.
The current bashrc misses a check:

case "$TERM" in
    xterm-color) color_prompt=yes;;
esac
should be:

case "$TERM" in
    xterm | xterm-color) color_prompt=yes;;
esac
After this, the prompt is colored.

Return to “Chat about Linux”