Trying to figure out 3 little things :-)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ledoktre

Trying to figure out 3 little things :-)

Post by ledoktre »

Greetings,

Want to say first off, LMDE (or the regular Minty flavor) are all very excellent desktops. I am quite happily using them. There are just a couple of things that I'd like to figure out. I am on LMDE Update Pack 5.

# 1
I am trying to figure out how to put a background color behind the fonts used for the desktop icons in cinnamon. I know that nautilus handles this. What happens for me is that I have my wallpaper change automatically with a random photo from InterfaceLift (which I like). Depending on the color though, I sometimes can't read the words below the icons. I would like to throw a nice black background behind the text, like OSX does. I found under /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0/apps/nautilus.css this setting : .nautilus-desktop.nautilus-canvas-item

I have changed it to look similar to the .nautilus-desktop.nautilus-canvas-item:active item, but it still does not show any background.

# 2
Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird. Both of them randomly (FF more often than TB) show this very strange and annoying grey box. In TB, for example, when you are ready to send a new message, I usually hit CONTROL+ENTER and it asks me to confirm, I just hit enter again. The confirmation box leaves, but in its place a grey box appears that is unmovable, and seen on all desktops. Sometimes closing TB it goes away, sometimes not. I also see it if I have not yet sent/saved a message and try to close it, it kindly asks me if I want to save the message. Boom, grey box after I confirm to save or not.

FF shows this window too when I go to websites with popup login boxes, or when closing FF and it confirms that I will lose my open tabs (if I have multiple windows open). Most of the time even closing the program out completely does not remove grey box. Only logging out of Mint and back in gets rid of it. Thats why I suspect it might be related to Cinnamon. Also because I've never seen it before on Ubuntu.

Its been doing this for me since Update Pack 3 I think? Has anyone else seen this before? I don't know if it is an addon causing this or not (just came to me as I am typing this). The only addons that are common between the programs are "Quick Translator 1.02b". I think I will try disabling this addon and see if it helps, but would still appreciate some feedback from you guys :-)

# 3
More effects for mimimize, maximize, etc. I always used to use Compiz before using Mint. I had setup my desktop with a slider effect. When I would minimize or restore a window, it would slide / fade to or from the task bar 100% width. On compiz, it was a skewer effect. http://superuser.com/questions/16922/is ... piz-fusion . I know this is just visual eye candy, but does anyone have any suggestions?

I used to have my windows fade in or fade out if opening or closing windows as well.

Thanks everyone!

ledoktre

Edit: I just closed out of Firefox and had the same grey box (with the plugin I referenced above disabled). I will attach a screenshot to show you :
screenshot.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ledoktre

Re: Trying to figure out 3 little things :-)

Post by ledoktre »

No one wants to take a stab at this? Did I post this in the wrong section? I'm just about to load my new laptop to Linux Mint, but I'm debating -- I like LMDE (except for all the things mentioned in my post). Should I load LMDE or just regular Mint Cinnamon?

I'd like to stay on LMDE but I really want those issues to go away :-)

Thanks,

* BUMP *
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

You can try to disable desktop effects for dialog boxes under Cinnamon Settings - Effects. If it doesn't work, you'll have to restart Cinnamon every time the box appears: Press Alt+F2, type r and hit Enter.
I don't think you can get the skewer effect in Cinnamon. But you can get the fade effect, also from Cinnamon Settings.
ledoktre

Post by ledoktre »

Interesting. Perhaps I am being a bit quick to say this, but #2 on my list seems to have been resolved with the update pack 5 that I just installed a couple of days ago. Knock on wood, but have not seen any more grey boxes since then. Overall I like the "feel" of the system noticably better on update pack 5. You wouldn't think there would be that much difference from 4, but I can definitely feel it. I'm lovin' it!

Just leaves the question about the background color on the text under desktop icons and the question about more effects on cinnamon. I really dug that slider effect, and I miss it badly...

Thanks,
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I found this:
askubuntu.com/questions/89734/how-can-i-change-the-text-colour-on-my-desktop-icons
I can't try it now, but I think it'll work.
ledoktre

Post by ledoktre »

Thanks for the idea. I had tried something similar before. I tried that and its like its not reading the CSS option. I dunno. Anyway, I can change the color of the font that is used on the text under each icon, but I can't seem to put a colored box behind it (like it would be if selected) to save my life. Any other advice?

Also, any one know of a way to get the slide effect in Cinnamon? Here's the link where I set it up before : http://superuser.com/questions/16922/is ... piz-fusion

I used it in Compiz and loved it. Can't seem to get it to work in Cinnamon.

Thanks,

Return to “Cinnamon”