Installed lightdm - now boot crashes - no recovery (Solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installed lightdm - now boot crashes - no recovery (Solved)

Postby Hiero2 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:03 pm

I got tired of typing my name in mdm - so I installed lightdm, no apparent problems. It asked which one I wanted to use as a default. I think, Ok, looking good, right! (right?) I said lightdm.

Now, I boot, and i get errors, and mint won't boot. Won't boot in recovery, either. Startup says mdm is not default, and it is shutting it down, something about a pipe and can't write, and stopping systemV compatability. Same thing each time, but I had to boot into windows to write this. I can't boot mint no way. Not regular, not recovery. Same messages both ways.

What do I do now? I don't particularly want to reinstall from scratch - lot of work, that.
Last edited by Hiero2 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiero2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installed lightdm - and now boot crashes - no recovery

Postby viking777 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 am

Installing lightdm is not enough, when installed you have to set it as default by running the command:

Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

Boot up mint and when it fails hit ctl/alt/f1 Hopefully this will put you into a virtual terminal where you can login and run that command. If you can't reach a virtual terminal like that you will have to use a chroot environment from a live cd which isn't quite so easy - start googling!
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Installed lightdm - and now boot crashes - no recovery

Postby Hiero2 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks, viking! Ctrl-alt-F1 worked. Yup - I thought about doing the chroot bit last night - but fortunately I don't have to do all the drive mounting and all.

However, something in the lightdm install was borked - the dpkg-reconfigure did not work. So, I used dpkg-reconfigure to reset it to mdm, and I'm back in business. I'll have to review the installation of lightdm when I get some time!

TY!
Hiero2
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installed lightdm - now boot crashes - no recovery (Solv

Postby anandrkris on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 am

I faced a similar issue in my laptop which runs Linux Mint KDE and had to revert to KDM. I too used ctl/alt/f1 though recovery worked for me.
Seems like a video driver issue as commented in the post....
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path
anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications