New recruit from France

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

New recruit from France

Post by russellz »

Hi all,

Bought a new laptop just before Christmas, a Toshiba Satellite C870. It came with Windows 7 and so was a knock down price. Why does everyone want Windows 8? I've been using PCLinuxOS for about 4 years so set it up as dual boot with that distro. It seemed to go OK but it was a struggle to get it to work with my wireless mouse, I couldn't get the special function keys working, and I had a struggle to get sound working on Skype.

So I installed Mint Mate 14 as a third system. First, I didn't like the fact that it set up Grub2 to boot just Windows and Mint, it didn't detect that I had another distro installed. So I went back to the old Grub1 with a graphical menu and added Mint to that as I couldn't work out how to hack Grub2.

Then "Whow!" everything worked out of the box. Mint detected the wireless mouse, the function keys worked (well at least the ones I want to use), and Skype worked :o

Once I have got to grips with everything I think I'll end up starting again and installing just Mint with Windows XP on Virtualbox for those few programs that need it.

Thanks for such a polished distro guys.

Russell
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
The-Wizard

Re: New recruit from France

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Re: New recruit from France

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen:

Good day and welcome to Linux Mint,

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”