[SOLVED] weird dependencies?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

[SOLVED] weird dependencies?

Post by nomko »

Hello,

I just installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer. But when i marked the package for installation, i get a pop-up window notifying me that i also must install the package update-notifier-common. To me this looks very strange and i can't figure out what the connection is between those 2 packages. Can someone explain why i need that second package for the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package? Checking the properties it does look that the last package is a dependency of ttf-mscorefonts-installer...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: weird dependencies?

Post by xenopeek »

Yes it is a dependency (see "apt-cache show ttf-mscorefonts-installer"), and I also had to install it. On Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon doesn't have any unwanted effects.

The package also sounds useful and is probably truly needed:
Apt setup files and reboot notification scripts shared between update-notifier and other packages, notably for server use cases.
nomko

Re: weird dependencies?

Post by nomko »

xenopeek wrote:Yes it is a dependency (see "apt-cache show ttf-mscorefonts-installer"), and I also had to install it. On Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon doesn't have any unwanted effects.

The package also sounds useful and is probably truly needed:
Apt setup files and reboot notification scripts shared between update-notifier and other packages, notably for server use cases.
It looks just weird to have some notification package for a font package. But when it's needed and doesn't any harmful stuff... i leave it! In any case, romving that notify package lead into removing the mscorefont package too...

Return to “Installation & Boot”