veetle woes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

veetle woes

Postby toad on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi,

I've got a desktop running 64-bit lmde and a T61 laptop with the same.

My problem is that veetle runs on one but not the other. On both I have the same setup, i.e.

Code: Select all
dpkg -l |grep flas
ii  flashplugin-nonfree                           1:3.1                                amd64        Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin
ii  mint-flashplugin-11                           11.0.d1.98                           amd64        Adobe Flash plugin 11

Only difference is the one where it is not working I have the proprietary nvidia driver and the nouveau on the one where it is working!? So to check I installed nouveau and removed nvidia but still no go.

Anybody got an idea where else to look?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers :)
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to LMDE forum.
never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::
toad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: veetle woes

Postby toad on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Update:

I started FF from CLI to see whether I'd get any further and indeed saw a message about libvdpau pop up. I reverted back to nvidia, made sure libvdpau1 was installed (which it was), created a new xorg.conf and fired FF up again. Alas, veetle still hangs but now I don't get any messages on the CLI at all. Would make sense cos X0rg.0.log says:

Code: Select all
toad ~ $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log|grep -i vdpau
[    56.503] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: nvidia

So, still no further :( Might try strace next...

EDIT:

Strace didn't help any further :( Oh, and just in case anybody is interested - it buggers up after I click on "continue with low quality stream" and shows either a black screen or a number of white dots in the middle but then stops dead.
never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::
toad
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions