Asus MOBO Ethernet driver issues SOLVED!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChillyWilly

Asus MOBO Ethernet driver issues SOLVED!

Post by ChillyWilly »

I recently installed Linux Mint 64-bit on my Desktop with an Asus P8H77-V Motherboard. I have a known working Ethernet connected and it says no connection. It's clear that it needs a driver, the problem is that I can not find one. Asus.com does not have any available for linux. Also my motherboard came with a support CD that works on windows as a desperation moves I put it in while booted Under LinuxMint and there was a folder called "LinuxDrivers" which had only one read-me file that said to update my Linux OS :lol: , I dug around all the drivers on the CD and found nothing useful. Also I run a dual boot with Windows and for my internet to work on windows I have to install drivers as well, fortunately they are available on the CD and via Asus.com . I'm lost at what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Also I have installed nothing else but Linux Mint 64-bit. This is a fresh install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Asus MOBO Ethernet driver issues

Post by caf4926 »

It's extremely unusual for wired ethernet not to work.
It should be an indication to you before you install, at the live desktop... was it working for you then?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
ChillyWilly

Post by ChillyWilly »

It was not working before the installation at the live desktop. Should I have done something to fix it then?
Also thank you for a response.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I'd probably just buy a PCI card to slot in
They are so cheap
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please open a terminal and run the following command. Share the output here so we have some basic info. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

Code: Select all

inxi -SNxz
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please tell which board from the P8H77 series you have. Some have Realtek ethernet, some have Atheros. In case of Atheros AR8161, which I think you may well have, you need to install the alx driver.

If you have indeed an Atheros AR8161 (do not do this if inxi reports a different chip), then:

You can download this package: http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat- ... -p.tar.bz2

Please extract it, go to the folder where you extracted it, right-click > Open in Terminal, and run these commands:

Code: Select all

./scripts/driver-select alx
make
sudo make install
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ChillyWilly

Post by ChillyWilly »

Thank you all for your quick, helpful responses. That driver worked. You all just made my day. Linux Mint <3

I'm curious to where or how you found that driver?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Asus MOBO Ethernet driver issues SOLVED!

Post by AlbertP »

Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
redsand

Post by redsand »

Thanks to you sir. Gigabyte Z77-DS3H and Intel i5 with atheros 8161 and Mint 14 cinnamon detected no wired connection. Follwed your post and now works fine.
Kudos.

RS
Menthe

Post by Menthe »

Worked great for me too. Gigabyte Z77-D3H; i7; Atheros 8161; Mint Cinnamon 14

Thank you very much
khanopus

Post by khanopus »

Currently working on similar problem. LAN is not working.

-Moved my post here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&t=130804
averagejoepro

Post by averagejoepro »

Thank you AlbertP... solved ethernet problem. Thanks much for pointing to the simple solution and instruction.
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H / i7 3770K

Return to “Networking”