Hey, I hope I'm not being overly presumptuous here, but ever since I first came into contact with gEdit, I've found one of it's behaviors to be counter productive (extremely so in fact). I'm wondering if this has somehow been a multi-year oversight that just no one has ever pointed out as completely undesirable due to issues like the popularity of VIM and emacs in the linux world.
Let me explain my current contentions with gEdit's default search behavior. In notepad based editors, when I search for a phrase, I typically type ctrl+f and type in the phrase. Then I hit enter to navigate to the next occurrence of the phrase, and repeat until i'm in the right place in the document. Finally I will hit esc to clear the search dialog from my view so that I can get back to working with the text document.
Unfortunately, when this procedure is applied to gEdit, the result is what I would describe as an absolute disaster.
1) Hitting the enter key will clear the search dialog box from the screen instead of search further, regardless of whether the focus is set to the search dialog box or not.
2) If the user hits the enter key twice rapidly (as though to search ahead for more occurrences of their search phrase) it will replace the first occurance of the phrase with a newline character.
3) If you reach the correct part of your text document after the first search of the phrase, hitting the escape key will undo the search in a jarring display and sharply revert my view of the document back to where it was before I started searching.
I'm probably the only one having issues with gEdit due to how late in the game I switched to linux. But I thought i'd put this post out there and see if I really am the only one having this kind of negative user experience or if maybe it's a global problem that might deserve some attention from devs down the road.