Is it just me or is gedit's find behavior super annoying?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

How do you feel about gEdit's 'find' behavior:

I prefer gEdit's default behavior
25%
I dislike gEdit's default behavior (it's super annoying)
75%
I use an alternative text editor and don't care about gEdit's behavior one way or the other
No votes
I don't use text files often enough to notice
No votes

Total votes: 4

dragon-dragon_dragon

Is it just me or is gedit's find behavior super annoying?

Post by dragon-dragon_dragon »

Hey, I hope I'm not being overly presumptuous here, but ever since I first came into contact with gEdit, I've found one of it's behaviors to be counter productive (extremely so in fact). I'm wondering if this has somehow been a multi-year oversight that just no one has ever pointed out as completely undesirable due to issues like the popularity of VIM and emacs in the linux world.

Let me explain my current contentions with gEdit's default search behavior. In notepad based editors, when I search for a phrase, I typically type ctrl+f and type in the phrase. Then I hit enter to navigate to the next occurrence of the phrase, and repeat until i'm in the right place in the document. Finally I will hit esc to clear the search dialog from my view so that I can get back to working with the text document.

Unfortunately, when this procedure is applied to gEdit, the result is what I would describe as an absolute disaster.

1) Hitting the enter key will clear the search dialog box from the screen instead of search further, regardless of whether the focus is set to the search dialog box or not.
2) If the user hits the enter key twice rapidly (as though to search ahead for more occurrences of their search phrase) it will replace the first occurance of the phrase with a newline character.
3) If you reach the correct part of your text document after the first search of the phrase, hitting the escape key will undo the search in a jarring display and sharply revert my view of the document back to where it was before I started searching.

I'm probably the only one having issues with gEdit due to how late in the game I switched to linux. But I thought i'd put this post out there and see if I really am the only one having this kind of negative user experience or if maybe it's a global problem that might deserve some attention from devs down the road.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is it just me or is gedit's find behavior super annoying

Post by xenopeek »

As you turned your suggestion into a popularity poll, moving it here :)

Anyway, Gedit is developed by the Gnome project. Also because of the issue you mention, Linux Mint 14 doesn't install the latest version of Gedit from the Gnome project but instead installs an older version (2.30.4) that does have sane behavior. This version:
1) Hitting the Enter key jumps to the next match;
2) Hitting the Enter key twice rapidly, jumps rapidly to second to next match;
3) Hitting the Escape key closes the search dialog and puts keyboard focus on the current match.

Instead of writing this elaborate poll, you could have asked for help instead :wink: Upgrading to Linux Mint 14 will take your Gedit pains away.
dragon-dragon_dragon

Re: Is it just me or is gedit's find behavior super annoying

Post by dragon-dragon_dragon »

xenopeek wrote:As you turned your suggestion into a popularity poll, moving it here :)

Anyway, Gedit is developed by the Gnome project. Also because of the issue you mention, Linux Mint 14 doesn't install the latest version of Gedit from the Gnome project but instead installs an older version (2.30.4) that does have sane behavior. This version:
1) Hitting the Enter key jumps to the next match;
2) Hitting the Enter key twice rapidly, jumps rapidly to second to next match;
3) Hitting the Escape key closes the search dialog and puts keyboard focus on the current match.

Instead of writing this elaborate poll, you could have asked for help instead :wink: Upgrading to Linux Mint 14 will take your Gedit pains away.
Thanks for the heads up, I suppose in a way I did =) I'm glad to hear Linux Mint decision making resonates with my own desires. I'll have to get around to upgrading post haste.

Return to “Open Chat”