Finally settled on Mint (for now >:D)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Finally settled on Mint (for now >:D)

Postby TwilightBeach43 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Hiya!
I've been using Linux for a few years. I've been using Mint on and off since version 9. It's gotten a lot more polished, good job to the development team!
I've finally settled on Mint for me and my 6 year old Acer Nettop. I couldn't bare myself to throw it out, with Windows Vista/7/8 running so freaking slow.
I stayed away from Linux for a while since Gnome 3 came out. My computer was too slow for Gnome 3, KDE 4, and other desktops, like XFCE, Trinity, were not tickling my fancy.

Now that MATE has matured, I'm happy. Mint 14 MATE demolishes Windows on this poor little Acer and all it's 1.6GHz. :D
I may not be here for long, as Fedora is my prefered distro and I believe they are going to start a MATE spin soon.
I mainly just joined the forum here to say hi, and help answer some questions while I enjoy using this awesome distro.
Thank you, and have an awesome day.
TwilightBeach43
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Finally settled on Mint (for now >:D)

Postby xenopeek on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks for stopping in and be welcome for the time you are here! I read Fedora 18 is going to include MATE, which gives credit to the MATE team for the work they are doing as more and more distros are offering MATE. Linux Mint was the first distro to offer MATE as a main edition, but we're happy to see other distros follow :mrgreen: It means hopefully the MATE team can grow, making the MATE desktop even better over time.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby TwilightBeach43 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Thanks for stopping in and be welcome for the time you are here! I read Fedora 18 is going to include MATE, which gives credit to the MATE team for the work they are doing as more and more distros are offering MATE. Linux Mint was the first distro to offer MATE as a main edition, but we're happy to see other distros follow :mrgreen: It means hopefully the MATE team can grow, making the MATE desktop even better over time.

It is! It's either going to be in the repositories or available as a spin. Which I'm fine with either. :)
I'm rooting for MATE. Gnome 3 is a fine solution for what it is, and it could possibly do wonders for tablets with a little tweaking, but I always find myself coming back to Gnome 2/MATE for a plain old, useable desktop. I don't need eyecandy either.
It's crazy, I used to think that Gnome 2 was perfect, but now MATE has come along and I'm seeing little things here and there that make the experience even better.
TwilightBeach43
Level 1
Level 1

Postby The-Wizard on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:44 am

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -mint 17 Xfce dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 9
Level 9

Postby overthetop on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Welcome aboard! :P
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -- Bruce Lee
overthetop
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jesica on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 am

:mrgreen:

Good day and welcome to Linux Mint,

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Orbmiser on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 am

Welcome to the Mint Family and enjoy :P
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself