need help setting up Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP wireless internet

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

need help setting up Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP wireless internet

Postby uchiha_zero on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:58 am

Hello everyone, I have run into a major hurdle since installin linux mint 13 xfce. Ive been trying to set up wireless internet for over a week now and still have no luck. I've been following and reading many many threads as well as hundreds of youtube videos but I still haven't been able to do it. So I humbly ask for some assistance. Here is some background info if it helps.

1) I installed the Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP usb adapter using the driver that came with the cd through "windows wireless drivers" utilty. It looked to be a success as the .inf file made the device recognized ie netucg3n : Hardware present : yes

2) I didnt have the "enable wireless" option availabe (it was greyed out) at the bottom right hand corner of the screen so after reading for ages i finally got that option to have a tick next to it.

3) I tried running "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper" and kept getting an error message, so i read that i had to install the ndiswrapper-dkms, so after doing that the error went away.

4) ndiswrapper -l produces this

netucg3n : driver installed
device (0411:01A8) present

5) So now i do "ndiswrapper -m" and i get lots of alias error messages. I still havent figured that part out but those 5 or so alias error messages i was able to change it a bit and now this is what i see when i type ndiswrapper -m

module configuration contains directive install usb:v0411p00E8d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
;you should delete that at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.9 line 868, <MODPROBE> line 284.
module configuration contains directive install usb:v0411p0148d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
;you should delete that at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.9 line 868, <MODPROBE> line 285.
module configuration contains directive install usb:v0411p016Fd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
;you should delete that at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.9 line 868, <MODPROBE> line 286.
module configuration contains directive install usb:v0411p01A8d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
;you should delete that at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.9 line 868, <MODPROBE> line 287.
adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf ...
sh: 1: cannot create /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf: Permission denied
couldn't add module alias: at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.9 line 882.

I tried checking other things like modules.conf but i dont have such a file anywhere. Im really lost as what to do next.

lsusb produces this

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0411:01a8 BUFFALO INC. (formerly MelCo., Inc.)
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 093a:2500 Pixart Imaging, Inc. USB Optical Mouse

so following that it seems that my buffalo adapter is there

iwconfig produces this

lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"p\xE9>\xA1A\xE1\xFCg>\x01~\x97\xEA\xDCk\x96\x8F8\*\xEC\xB0;\xFB2\xAF<T\xEC\x18\xDB\"
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
Retry limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eth0 no wireless extensions.

And thats as far as I can get on my own, I can use internet through ethernet but I havent been able to find out the answers I need. So Im desperately needing some help.

Let me know what other information you need and I will supply it. I thank anyone and everyone who can help a new linux user better enjoy the community.
uchiha_zero
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: need help setting up Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP wireless inte

Postby uchiha_zero on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 am

sorry to bump this thread but i still didnt get anywhere on my own, just been pulling out my hair for the last week, please can someone anyone help me. I really want to get this working, please if anyone out there can assist me id be really grateful.
uchiha_zero
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Wireless