Mini.iso installation without cabled internet connection

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mini.iso installation without cabled internet connection

Postby lugligino on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 am

Hi,
I'm a mint user. I love cheap mini.iso but I am disappointed because a cabled internet connection is needed. I use a netbook with an internet key so it's not possible use mini.iso for me?
I connect to the Internet with wvdial. It's very flexible and powerful, it occupies small space on disk, it can work on a shell so it gives informations if something goes wrong while Network Manager doesn't tell you nothing, and you can use it in a text session if you experience trouble with X. It has happened to me that Network Manager, for a unknown reason, didn't appear on system tray so I had to place my trust in standalone scripts like sakis3g to start a first connection. If wvdial was in the distro, all you need should be only the correct wvdial.conf file, but every wvdial user has its one, so it could be asked during the installation to the user, otherwise it could be possible install mini.iso on disk, copy the correct wvdial.conf file in /etc and access to the Internet as you use to do.
So, I can't understand why wvdial it's not included inside the mini.iso and in the other distros :? .
Linux Mint 13 Mate on a Dell Latitude D600 notebook 1GB RAM.
lugligino
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mini.iso installation without cabled internet connection

Postby nomko on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 am

The solution i can think of is downloading the iso file (at a friend's house) and install Mint without internet. Internet is needed when you want to install packages which aren't included on the Mint mini iso. With the Mint mini iso you get a bare system, only those packages will be installed which are needed to run Mint. For other packages and updates you need an internet connection.
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
nomko
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mini.iso installation without cabled internet connection

Postby lugligino on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:15 am

nomko wrote:... For other packages and updates you need an internet connection.

Yes I agree. If wvdial was in the installed system on disk, even if Network Manager failed, like in my case, I should have a probability to connect with my Internet Key.
Linux Mint 13 Mate on a Dell Latitude D600 notebook 1GB RAM.
lugligino
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot