Wine can't find libGL.so.1 after UP6 (LMDE 64bit)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lecterror

Wine can't find libGL.so.1 after UP6 (LMDE 64bit)

Post by lecterror »

During the installation of UP6, cinnamon/X/something broke down and I couldn't get into the same session and was stuck in tty. In my process list I could still see the apt process running for a while, until it froze (I'm assuming it was waiting for user input). So I killed it from tty and resumed from there. Of course, after reboot things burned and crashed because I was using nvidia drivers.

So after a bit of messing about, I managed to reinstall them and got my X back to life. However, when I try to run Steam, it complains it can't find libGL.so.1 and that it cannot create the GUI.

Code: Select all

$ wine Steam.exe 
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:d3d:wined3d_dll_init VideoMemorySize is 0 but must be >0
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclW unhandled access mode 4
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclW unhandled access mode 4
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xcbe8fc, overlapped 0xcbe8e0): stub
fixme:advapi:EventRegister {47a9201e-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361bc6f}, 0x3f005140, 0x3f036b20, 0x3f036b18
fixme:advapi:EventRegister {58a9201e-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361bc70}, 0x3f005140, 0x3f036b58, 0x3f036b50
fixme:advapi:EventRegister {3fa9201e-73b0-43fe-9821-7e145359bc6f}, 0x3f005140, 0x3f036ae8, 0x3f036ae0
fixme:advapi:EventRegister {1432afee-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361b433}, 0x3f005140, 0x3f036b90, 0x3f036b88
fixme:advapi:EventRegister {4372afee-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361b519}, 0x3f005140, 0x3f036bc8, 0x3f036bc0
fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000100, 00000000): partial stub.
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"OPENGL32.dll": libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:module:import_dll Loading library OPENGL32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\bin\\vgui2_s.dll") failed (error c000007a).
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"OPENGL32.dll": libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:module:import_dll Loading library OPENGL32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\bin\\vgui2_s.dll") failed (error c000007a).
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
err:service:service_send_command service protocol error - failed to read pipe r = 0  count = 0!
Shutting down. . .
fixme:advapi:EventUnregister deadbeef: stub
But, I seem to have it on my system:

$ locate libGL.so.1
/etc/alternatives/glx--libGL.so.1-x86_64-linux-gnu
/etc/alternatives/nvidia--libGL.so.1-x86_64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nvidia/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nvidia/current/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1.2
I am not sure how to proceed now. I've tried installing some packages which contained libgl1 and/or nvidia in their name, but I clearly don't know what I'm doing because it didn't work :)

This is my system info:

$ inxi -F
System:    Host feck Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo P7350 (-MCP-) cache 3072 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3) bmips 7979.54 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card NVIDIA G96 [GeForce 9600M GT] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1440x900@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce 9600M GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.48 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver iwlwifi v: in-tree: BusID: 07:00.0
           Card-2 Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver tg3 v: 3.121 BusID: 09:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (80.7% used) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi_HTS54323 320.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 19G used: 8.5G (48%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 19G used: 8.5G (48%) fs: ext4 
           ID:/home size: 273G used: 241G (94%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 2.63GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:63C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes 137 Uptime 1:48 Memory 651.7/2008.1MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 
I have installed wine-bin:i386 as described here and it was working before applying UP6. So now I'm thoroughly stuck and any tips on how to proceed in order to fix this would be most appreciated.

(Also, I'm not sure this is the proper location to post as it is at least somewhat related to updating..?)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grraf

Re: Wine can't find libGL.so.1 after UP6 (LMDE 64bit)

Post by grraf »

the info yr looking for is here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=20 the short answer is this libgl.so.1 is currently handled by libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 but this one depends on libxvmc1:i386 the bad news is that libxvmc1 doesn't play nice on multiarch so u currently end up with 2 choices: install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 and as consequence wine works but xserver-xorg bites u yr ass upon restart(u can switch back before restart(see given thread for detailed info on my discoveries)) OR go with mesa's gallium 0.4 as the glx render and all will be well (at least linux games & wine's d3d games work but being without yr nvidia drivers may get u a bit cranky :lol: especially if u play 'hardcore graphics games')
Hope this helps(and don't ask me if or when libxvmc1 will start to play nice with multiarch as i'm rather clueless(not interested atm as gallium 0.4 works well for me(i can play all my gog favorites(neverwinter, temple of elemental evil, baldur's gate, ....)))
lecterror

Post by lecterror »

Wow that sucks :(

I did run into that libxvmc1 problem, but I thought it was just something I messed up in my system.

If my understanding is correct, this means switching to nouveau until further notice? Given the current state of my machine, what's the cleanest way to do that? Do I install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau? What packages do I need to remove? Everything nvidia?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

did you see my post on page 3 of that topic >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p664516

the question is that libxvmc is not built as multiarch (yet);

in the bug report i linked there you can find at some point some 3rd party builds multiarch aware (i like these expressions :lol: ) (here >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =640499#25 ) (of course these are unofficial debs, use at your own risk)

as you can see also in that bug it's not going to be solved soon
> It's a well-known fact the X Strike Force has way too much manpower,
> and
> really enjoys stalling everything.
>
the switch to nouveau you here mention (if nouveau can cut your needs) it's the most sensible thing to do (if you're not up to apply the patch proposed above)
and the cleanest way to do that (if you installed nvidia from the repos) is with ddm >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559

but if you want my opinion, if you rely on heavy wine usage the best option is 32bit system with pae kernel (at least until this multiarch mess matures)
grraf

Post by grraf »

I'm actually glad i ran into this wine mess and ended up giving the nouveau driver another chance; last time i bothered with it was way back when it didn't even support direct rendering and 2D was slugish as well, nowadays its quite decent and as far as i'm concerned if it remains about the same or actually improves in time then by all means ill be saying my goodbyes to nvidia driver's.
As far as the unofficial debs go i know better then to get my fingers caught in the cookie jar :roll:

Either way it sucks to find yrself wine-less all of a sudden(as some people actually need it for more than just games(lucky enough to not be one of them))...... As a result i was wondering if possible to give a heads up about a UP before it hits latest repos(something along the lines of using myself and other that track the incoming repos to build up a list of apps that get broken by installing the new UP - i'm naturally suggesting only a small list of the most popular apps) this way when a UP hits the latest repo and smb views the UP info he will get warned if an app he's relying on has gone rogue and can chose to stall on updating just yet to dig up additional info on how/if the problem can be solved.
lecterror

Post by lecterror »

zerozero wrote:did you see my post on page 3 of that topic
Is it bad that after going through all the comments on bug #640499 I want to punch some people in the face? :? This is a very sad situation in itself, but knowing that it's almost intentional...just...wow. :|

I think I'll take your advice and simply go back to 32 bits. I use Steam, and my wife does too, and although that's not something "mission critical", I surely don't want to wait for "maintainters" to clear this mess up, especially not with a track record like this. Besides, I see Clem has announced LMDE UP6 ISO, so I'll just wait a bit (hopefully not too long) and install that. Or maybe not, if my wife starts demanding "games nao" :)

Now I'm only a bit confused by the nature of updates..do I need to reinstall nvidia drivers every time a new kernel arrives? Do I have to do anything "special" to have a PAE kernel active (+nvidia) after each update?

Also, would it be a smart choice to do updates from a tty in the future? I shot my pants when cinnamon died and left the update process hanging out of my control.. :cry:
lecterror

Post by lecterror »

grraf wrote:Either way it sucks to find yrself wine-less all of a sudden(as some people actually need it for more than just games(lucky enough to not be one of them))...... As a result i was wondering if possible to give a heads up about a UP before it hits latest repos(something along the lines of using myself and other that track the incoming repos to build up a list of apps that get broken by installing the new UP - i'm naturally suggesting only a small list of the most popular apps) this way when a UP hits the latest repo and smb views the UP info he will get warned if an app he's relying on has gone rogue and can chose to stall on updating just yet to dig up additional info on how/if the problem can be solved.
I am actually surprised this wasn't mentioned in the UP6 info, seems like a pretty big thing(tm). But it is my understanding that Mint guys are already understaffed, so it shouldn't be surprising if they miss something now and then. As long as they keep the so-called "traditional desktop" alive, I'm happy. I just call it "usable desktop". :)
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

I had major issues with libglx.so.1, (using Nvidia proprietary drivers)

I had to hardlink "/usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg/libglx.so.xxx.xx" to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so", so the kernel loaded the proper GL module.
Deric

Post by Deric »

I do not know is it right to post my trouble here, but i think it some where near of this post ... hope ...
I try to run Newerwiter Nigts for Linux under my LMDE 64 and get an error:

./nwmain: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
How to fix it?

p.s. Also i can get it how to install 32 bit app from deb package? For example: ia32-crossover_12.0.0.0-1_amd64.deb
lecterror

Post by lecterror »

@Deric:

If that's the same error I got (and it looks like it), the solution is either to install the (unofficial!) patch in the bug report mentiond earlier, revert to nouveau drivers (which may or may not be good enough for your games) or simply go with 32 bits.

For anyone else reading this in the future, I've given up on 64bit version and installed 32..everything is working so far with PAE kernel, propriatery drivers and Steam.

I'm not sure if I should mark this thread as solved or not...it is solved for me, but...not really? :?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sorry guys :oops: i had in my todo list to write a couple things here but forgot :lol:
lecterror wrote:I am actually surprised this wasn't mentioned in the UP6 info, seems like a pretty big thing(tm).
this is one the shortcomings of the update-pack testing model: it's tested by the community in incoming; if nobody tests and finds these bugs they slip unnoticed (and some of them are out of mint's scope anyway but could be highlighted in the update-pack notes); the less people we have using incoming and actively testing and giving constructive feedback more chances we have for this to happen again.
lecterror wrote:Now I'm only a bit confused by the nature of updates..do I need to reinstall nvidia drivers every time a new kernel arrives? Do I have to do anything "special" to have a PAE kernel active (+nvidia) after each update?
if you install the drivers (the default ones in the repo) using dkms and have image+headers installed you shouldn't have problems: dkms will build the driver for the appropriate kernel << this is the theory and works most of the time but sometimes it might fail.
Deric wrote:p.s. Also i can get it how to install 32 bit app from deb package? For example: ia32-crossover_12.0.0.0-1_amd64.deb
i have no experience with crossover but:
- is your system converted to multiarch?
- do they only have this ia32* deb? (with multiarch ia32-libs is deprecated)
Deric

Post by Deric »

lecterror wrote:@Deric:
If that's the same error I got (and it looks like it), the solution is either to install the (unofficial!) patch in the bug report mentiond earlier, revert to nouveau drivers (which may or may not be good enough for your games) or simply go with 32 bits.
For anyone else reading this in the future, I've given up on 64bit version and installed 32..everything is working so far with PAE kernel, propriatery drivers and Steam.
I'm not sure if I should mark this thread as solved or not...it is solved for me, but...not really? :?
My issue is not in installing an 32 bit apps, but in running those what no need to install at all - so my question is: how to run such 32 bit apps on 64 LMDE? :?
zerozero wrote:
Deric wrote:p.s. Also i can get it how to install 32 bit app from deb package? For example: ia32-crossover_12.0.0.0-1_amd64.deb
i have no experience with crossover but:
- is your system converted to multiarch?
- do they only have this ia32* deb? (with multiarch ia32-libs is deprecated)
Realy? I don`t know! :D Because i can`t understand this thing ...
That what gives me dpkg:

deric@linux-pc:~$ dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
i386
Ok. I install teamviewer_linux_64x.deb by command:

dpkg -i teamviewer_linux_x64.deb:i386
And teamviewer works (i`m not sure that it`s correct because it x64 package - but it work!), i try do same thing with crossover and nothing - that what call crossovers test:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag --debug:
[OpenglNoDRI]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="OpenGL is not using Direct Rendering"
You said that ia32-libs is deprecated ... They have this to download:
install-crossover-12.0.0.bin - This installer will work on any version of Linux, and should install and operate under any conditions. This version is the only version that can be installed completely in a user account.
crossover_12.0.0-1_i386.deb - This version will operate only on 32bit Debian distributions of Linux such as Ubuntu.
ia32-crossover_12.0.0-1_amd64.deb - This version will operate only on 64bit Debian distributions of Linux such as Ubuntu.
I don`t know what can i download to make this program work properly =\

And i still cant understand how to run Neverwinters Night if installation process is:

$ tar -xzvf  nwn-ru-1.68.tar.gz
$ cd nwn
$ ./nwn
Last edited by Deric on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Deric,
what is the output of the following command

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
Deric

Post by Deric »

zerozero wrote:Deric,
what is the output of the following command

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
Upper:

deric@linux-pc:~$ dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
i386
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sorry Deric, i missed all of your edits :P

your system is converted to multiarch (the output of dpkg says that you have one added architecture <i386> plus the one you have originally <amd64>)
^^ this part is good ^^ :D

now the usability part:
- multiarch means (roughly) that you are able to run 32bit app in your 64bit system as if they were native; in practice and in most situations you don't even have the option: most of the app are really only 32bit and is this multiarch layer that will allow you to run them

- re: crossover i believe that you have to install crossover_12.0.0-1_i386.deb

Return to “LMDE Archive”