Removing Grub without Win7 disk? (HELP)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LifeTaken

Removing Grub without Win7 disk? (HELP)

Post by LifeTaken »

Hi all.
I am new to the forums...actually just made an account. I was hoping that everything would go flawlessly (ie, my installation of LinuxMint), but it didn't, and now I want to remove LinuxMint entirely from my system (I tried re-installing LinuxMint over the partition that I had previously installed it on (which was actually my former D: drive/Recovery Drive for Windows) because of some problems, and the installation failed (of course) and now I cannot start up LinuxMint from my hard drive -- I have to use a Live CD (effectively, I have a partition on my hard drive that has an unusable "installation" of LinuxMint on it). I heard that the way to uninstall LinuxMint (or any Linux for that matter) is to first remove Grub BootLoader using the Windows 7 installation disk and then formatting over the LinuxMint installation using Windows Disk Manager. Well, this is all fine and dandy, except for the fact that I don't have a Windows 7 installation disk due to Windows 7 already coming pre-installed on my laptop (I have an MSI-FX603). Because of this, I have no way to access the Bootrec.exe command to repair the MBR (No CD = No system recovery options = Not able to reach command prompt to use Bootrec.exe command to repair MBR).

Help me, please. Is there ANY other way of repairing the MBR without the Windows 7 installation disk? I figure after doing this, formatting over the LinuxMint partition and getting my recovery (D:) drive back will be a piece of cake.

Thanks guys. If there really isn't a way to do it without a disk, I suppose that I could try using my dads Windows 7 installation disk to do the trick (if he still has it...).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Removing Grub without Win7 disk? (HELP)

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

Can you yet still boot into Windows? Then this guide shows you have to install a Windows boot loader from inside Windows (after which you can remove Linux if you want): http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/03/10/re ... uxBSDos%29
BitCount

Post by BitCount »

Hi. My name's Sam and I'm having a similar problem. Could Vincent or someone answer LifeTaken's question? Just hoping my post here will get the wheels turning and someone will reply.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Don't panic.

Removing grub is easily done without win7 recovery disk.

The method is using any Debian based linux CD/DVD running Live, and install Lilo.
As long as you can get into internet and install Lilo you will be OK.

Here is the link below, for you to read and follow, on method II

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... LO#p445076
thrr3ee

Post by thrr3ee »

And if I don't have internet access?

Can I get rid of GRUB without the CD or internet?

I was trying to install a Linux distro to an external HD... little did I know GRUB appeared on the laptop I was using, and I'm panicking now because I can't access windows! I can't access anything save for a Mepis 11 live CD and that won't connect to my wireless for some reason.

Return to “Other topics”