Back up Browser

Chat about just about anything else

Re: Back up Browser

Postby sunewbie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:05 am

rijnsma wrote:Yes, what's going to happen if there is no more Flash from Adobe.
They stop and do only security backports of Flash 11.2

So there is no moonlight for years and it looks like there will be no Flash.
Is that the end for Linux or am I missing something?? :?

According to Steve Jobs Flash is primitive technology. Even youtube now has an option to play videos in html5 :)
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.
sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby rijnsma on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 am

O, thank God, that is when Linux does not the same with Flash like with Silverlight/Moonlight... It gives problems when one
can't see and hear things.. For years with this one... And there are (were) important sites, which only used Silverlight... :roll:
I felt a little worried again this time I'm sorry.

Sometimes it looks like I'm not the only one but there are not mány worried in Linuxland about these things,
varying from the thread of UEFI Secure Boot (MS), distroying desktops (think of Gnome, KDE 3.5), on the fly producing other filesystems and other bootloaders (which one can't handle the right way), to this Flash-crash (in future) now. And tons
of distro's. So extreme fragmentation...

It makes me a tiny sad, because Linux on the desktop will stay small this way or could even disappear. And that while the
principle of Linux is so great and social and free of the giants !!

Youtube and other mulimedia etc. have become so very important when you want people to stay in a 'brand'. One can't
do without in a PC today.

And pimitive Flash... Yes, quirky and very processor-hungry I must say. So with great alternatives things will be right.
But that is what people all the time said about Silverlight/Moonlight. :evil: And that was true, but I've seen it working
over time in Linux for very small periods...

Thanks for answering and maybe making my concerns a little less !! :wink:
Qiana.... mind your backup..
rijnsma
Level 4
Level 4

Postby natalsmith40 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 pm

viking77, I am also a slimboat user here. I am using V1.1.20. startpage.com loads just fine for me. Perhaps they have already fixed the bug.
natalsmith40
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Actually Firefox is my backup browser. :D

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby viking777 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:23 am

natalsmith40 wrote:viking77, I am also a slimboat user here. I am using V1.1.20. startpage.com loads just fine for me. Perhaps they have already fixed the bug.

I have updated, but it doesn't make a difference to me. When you say that "startpage.com loads just fine for me" it depends exactly what you mean?

An example - if I want to search for posts about checkgmail for instance, I put the term 'checkgmail' into the search bar, select 'Startpage' as my preferred search engine and press enter. If I was using Firefox it would show a whole load of startpage results relating to 'checkgmail'. In slimboat all it does is load the startpage home page and I have to type the search term a second time in order to make it search for anything about checkgmail. This is the problem I am having with it.

In firefox you set the search term using the substitution %q in the search address, but when you do that in Slimboat it actually gives you results based on %q as a search term, which isn't much use.

By the way have you found a spell checker for slimboat yet, I can't find one anywhere.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Previous

Return to Open chat