Back up Browser

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
sunewbie

Re: Back up Browser

Post by sunewbie »

rijnsma wrote:Yes, what's going to happen if there is no more Flash from Adobe.
They stop and do only security backports of Flash 11.2

So there is no moonlight for years and it looks like there will be no Flash.
Is that the end for Linux or am I missing something?? :?
According to Steve Jobs Flash is primitive technology. Even youtube now has an option to play videos in html5 :)
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

O, thank God, that is when Linux does not the same with Flash like with Silverlight/Moonlight... It gives problems when one
can't see and hear things.. For years with this one... And there are (were) important sites, which only used Silverlight... :roll:
I felt a little worried again this time I'm sorry.

Sometimes it looks like I'm not the only one but there are not mány worried in Linuxland about these things,
varying from the thread of UEFI Secure Boot (MS), distroying desktops (think of Gnome, KDE 3.5), on the fly producing other filesystems and other bootloaders (which one can't handle the right way), to this Flash-crash (in future) now. And tons
of distro's. So extreme fragmentation...

It makes me a tiny sad, because Linux on the desktop will stay small this way or could even disappear. And that while the
principle of Linux is so great and social and free of the giants !!

Youtube and other mulimedia etc. have become so very important when you want people to stay in a 'brand'. One can't
do without in a PC today.

And pimitive Flash... Yes, quirky and very processor-hungry I must say. So with great alternatives things will be right.
But that is what people all the time said about Silverlight/Moonlight. :evil: And that was true, but I've seen it working
over time in Linux for very small periods...

Thanks for answering and maybe making my concerns a little less !! :wink:
natalsmith40

Post by natalsmith40 »

viking77, I am also a slimboat user here. I am using V1.1.20. startpage.com loads just fine for me. Perhaps they have already fixed the bug.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Actually Firefox is my backup browser. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
viking777

Post by viking777 »

natalsmith40 wrote:viking77, I am also a slimboat user here. I am using V1.1.20. startpage.com loads just fine for me. Perhaps they have already fixed the bug.
I have updated, but it doesn't make a difference to me. When you say that "startpage.com loads just fine for me" it depends exactly what you mean?

An example - if I want to search for posts about checkgmail for instance, I put the term 'checkgmail' into the search bar, select 'Startpage' as my preferred search engine and press enter. If I was using Firefox it would show a whole load of startpage results relating to 'checkgmail'. In slimboat all it does is load the startpage home page and I have to type the search term a second time in order to make it search for anything about checkgmail. This is the problem I am having with it.

In firefox you set the search term using the substitution %q in the search address, but when you do that in Slimboat it actually gives you results based on %q as a search term, which isn't much use.

By the way have you found a spell checker for slimboat yet, I can't find one anywhere.

Return to “Open Chat”