first steps with LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

first steps with LMDE

Postby linuxpcplus on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am

As a long time Mint user, I have grown comfortable enough to graduate to LMDE. I want a rolling release so I can be certain to have the latest stable packages like GIMP 2.8 or kdenlive 0.9.3 "automatically" upgraded.
But I understand that using a rolling release comes with more risk & more work. So here is my question:
Can someone give me advice or resources to help make my transition to a rolling release distro (LMDE) as smooth as possible? What first steps should i take after installation?
linuxpcplus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: first steps with LMDE

Postby GeneC on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 am

I would suggest this as the best place to start..
Well worth all the reading... :wink:

"Zerozero's" LMDE FAQ
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405

A new .iso should be available some time this month. I would wait for it before installing (tons of updates for the old iso)... :)
GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

Qiana (Cinnamon/XFCE)
Sparky XFCE (Debian Testing)
LMDE Cin 2.2 (SID)
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Re: first steps with LMDE

Postby linuxpcplus on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:49 am

GeneC wrote:I would suggest this as the best place to start..
Well worth all the reading... :wink:

"Zerozero's" LMDE FAQ
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405

A new .iso should be available some time this month. I would wait for it before installing (tons of updates for the old iso)... :)

Thank you! I will take your advice & wait for the new iso this month. Also, I have read the post you referred me to. It does bring up one question, more curiosity than anything:
referring to this from the faq you referrenced "Q3- Why are my applications not the latest possible version?"
Even though LMDE may not ALWAYS have the latest software in all cases, is it accurate to say it is still more up to date then say a 3 month old Mint main release such as Mint KDE? At least, typically?
linuxpcplus
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions