first steps with LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
linuxpcplus

first steps with LMDE

Post by linuxpcplus »

As a long time Mint user, I have grown comfortable enough to graduate to LMDE. I want a rolling release so I can be certain to have the latest stable packages like GIMP 2.8 or kdenlive 0.9.3 "automatically" upgraded.
But I understand that using a rolling release comes with more risk & more work. So here is my question:
Can someone give me advice or resources to help make my transition to a rolling release distro (LMDE) as smooth as possible? What first steps should i take after installation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: first steps with LMDE

Post by GeneC »

I would suggest this as the best place to start..
Well worth all the reading... :wink:

"Zerozero's" LMDE FAQ
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405

A new .iso should be available some time this month. I would wait for it before installing (tons of updates for the old iso)... :)
linuxpcplus

Re: first steps with LMDE

Post by linuxpcplus »

GeneC wrote:I would suggest this as the best place to start..
Well worth all the reading... :wink:

"Zerozero's" LMDE FAQ
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405

A new .iso should be available some time this month. I would wait for it before installing (tons of updates for the old iso)... :)
Thank you! I will take your advice & wait for the new iso this month. Also, I have read the post you referred me to. It does bring up one question, more curiosity than anything:
referring to this from the faq you referrenced "Q3- Why are my applications not the latest possible version?"
Even though LMDE may not ALWAYS have the latest software in all cases, is it accurate to say it is still more up to date then say a 3 month old Mint main release such as Mint KDE? At least, typically?

Return to “LMDE Archive”