[SOLVED] XFCE Task Manager - which memory is showing?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dibo

[SOLVED] XFCE Task Manager - which memory is showing?

Post by Dibo »

Hi,

I'm new in XFCE edition. I used Cinnamon and Mate before. I'm developing desktop application. I often been monitoring how much memory it is consuming. It always was 7-8 MB. On XFCE it is 20 MB. I thought that maybe I did some memory leak. Task manager has only two columns for memory, second is virtual. So I run my application on normal ubuntu and here system monitor showing 7-8 MB. Ubuntu system monitor has more memory columns than XFCE and it showing me:

Resident memory = 21 MB, Writable memory = 6.4 MB, Shared memory = 15 MB, X Server memory = 196 KiB and Memory = 6.6 MB

So it seems that memory which XFCE task monitor is showing is Resident memory? Can I somehow replace XFCE task monitor with ubuntu system monitor (which is showing more memory columns)?

Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: XFCE Task Manager - which memory is showing?

Post by xenopeek »

Easiest would be to install that same system monitor? You can do so with:

Code: Select all

apt install gnome-system-monitor
After installation, you'll find the System Monitor in the System section of your menu. Enable the additional columns you need in Preferences.

If you're hunting for memory leaks, consider instead using Valgrind. There are also various other suggestions on this topic: http://stackoverflow.com/a/13754307. smem, the comment I linked to, sounds useful perhaps also.
Dibo

Re: XFCE Task Manager - which memory is showing?

Post by Dibo »

Thanks! I thought that gnome-system-monitor need all GNOME backend environment
jjaythomas

Re: [SOLVED] XFCE Task Manager - which memory is showing?

Post by jjaythomas »

Thanks! I thought that gnome-system-monitor need all GNOME backend environment

Yes you can install the gnome/mate system monitor. (It one actually used in the LMDE-Xfce version.)
May want to also look and compare to the 'lxtask' app :wink: Very similar but lxtask list memory used xftask list %mem used by default.

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”