Unable to install ATI driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DerLiesl

Unable to install ATI driver

Post by DerLiesl »

After years of yammering my bf finally convinced me to use Linux instead of Windows, and I chose Linux Mint 14 KDE.
I'm trying to install the official AMD driver (+ Catalyst) for my ATI graphic card, but it just doesn't work with uninstall/install/uninstall/install (with aticonfig --initial -f after every install before rebooting). I keep getting the message no driver has been found. I even reinstalled Linux Mint, but with no luck whatsoever.

Ideally I would like the hybrid graphics to work, but first I need to get the ATI graphic card working, I guess.
My graphic cards:
ATI Radeon HD 5430 and Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300e

Can someone please help me? Please keep in mind I'm a total newbie in Linux, and my knowledge goes as far as "I need to type sudo if I want something to work"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Unable to install ATI driver

Post by nomko »

In the Mint 1.4 KDE release notes i come across this link: http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/10/how- ... egacy.html.
DerLiesl

Post by DerLiesl »

I think my driver is not in this "legacy"-series as it is Radeon HD 5xxx.
I selected my graphic card on the AMD website, so I suppose it should work...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Could you post the output of these commands:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
sudo ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
DerLiesl

Post by DerLiesl »

AlbertP wrote:Could you post the output of these commands:

inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5430 Series] bus-ID: 05:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

sudo ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 9 2013 /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Right, this is "muxed" hybrid Intel/ATI graphics. You have a choice here:
  • Use Intel graphics: power-efficient, but 3D accelerated games might not run as fast. If you want this, you can power down the ATI GPU:

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    Before the "exit 0" line, please put:

echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
  • Use ATI graphics: the laptop will use more power, but it will work fine in games. To be able to run the graphics driver properly, you need to switch from Intel to ATI graphics and power down the Intel GPU:

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    Before the "exit 0" line, please put:

echo DIS > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    Now you will be able to install & use the ATI graphics driver.
DerLiesl

Post by DerLiesl »

I want the ATI card to work, so I chose the second option.
After editing /etc/rc.local and rebooting I tried to install the ATI driver:
Your graphics adapter is not supported by this driver. Installation will not proceed.
So what next..?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think you can just install "fglrx" from the repository then.
DerLiesl

Post by DerLiesl »

After following these steps http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=96957 I got it working... for a minute.
My ATI card was working and I was able to open Catalyst. Yay! :D
However.....

In Catalyst I couldn't find the Switchable Graphics options and I remembered I forgot to type

sudo aticonfig --initial -f
So after typing the above I rebooted.... and now kde won't start. My Intel card is activated again and I get a black screen. :(
I tried to edit vgaswitcheroo (with Ctrl + Alt + F1) but the directory is gone (probably as a result of the ATI installer)

I think I have two, no, three options:
1) switch back to the ATI card and see what happens --> How?
2) get kde working with my intel card again --> How?
3) forget about it, fresh installation, only use Intel from now on.

(Or give Manjaro a try but I don't think hybrid graphics are easier to configure in Arch)
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

I'm having the same issues with 3 PC's

All have different ATI cards
all have the resent LMDE distro ( at posting this thread ) and update 6.
Two are 64 bit
One is 32 bit.
I can get mate up and running but slow. I want to use cinnamon but just get a black screen.

I have even tried DDM Device Driver Manager ( please support Schoelje his doing good things )
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=300

I can't get either the ATI drivers or the fglrx drivers to work.

( just for the record I have the same problem with an eeepc which has a an intel chip )

Before I fill up the forum with logs etc does anyone have anything to say :?:
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Does this make any difference:

sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f
I would like to know if the above command would also work on a single gpu ATI card (it would make adapting DDM for hybrid cards a lot easier).
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

Well after Googleing my fingers to the bone I found my solution. :D

Use Synaptic to remove any flgrx packages you can find.
Open the Terminal and type these commands

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control
Although not advised I had to use --force to install the drivers which worked for me :wink:

sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial
I now have the Catalyst Control Center and as far as I'm concerned this is the best driver I have used with this card so far. :mrgreen:

Schoelje very sorry I didn't see your post before I tried this but don't see if it has any point now......but I still have two other ATI cards that need your help and they are to old for the new AMD/ATI drivers .... :roll:
Last edited by Niks on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
SteveIDusa

Post by SteveIDusa »

I also have been having trouble getting the drivers to install as well, so I thought I would attempt to resolve this for my System Once and for all. I have been at this all day and seem no closer to having resolved it. I have posted a Blog Entry @ http://busnet-serveradministration.blogspot.com/ fully describing what I have done today. Including attempting the above fix.

Please see it for the full description, I can not possibly post all of it here.

I am using Mint 13 Mate 64-bit, all system specs are in the blog, along with what inxi -Fxz reports

Briefly, I have an AMD HD 4670 Video card and have been attempting to use Jocky to install the proprietary AMD Drivers. Each time that I attempt this, and I have attempted it multiple times since the release of Mint 13 (I give it a try, give up and then clean install another Linux Distro for a while, then come back a month or 2 later for another try and always a clean install on each attempt), it throws an error message indicating that the installation has failed for the AMD Drivers. However, after the failed installation I have both the AMD CCC & AMD CCC (admin) Icons in Control Center and in the Main Menu.

In the Control Center and in the Menu, I can open the AMD CCC, In either location there is no response to attempting to open the AMD CCC (admin) Option. However I can run the AMD CCC admin option from Terminal with "sudo amdcccle" and it all seems to behave normally.

Compositing seems to be working as well, however I am getting Error messages from Minecraft and think this is a result of this driver problem.

I have the jocky.log files, as well as the Minecraft error logs.

Any Help would be so great, and if you read the full blog, you might even get a few diamonds :wink:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please open a new topic for this. In that topic please post the outputs of these commands in terminal:

inxi -Gx
fglrxinfo
SteveIDusa

Post by SteveIDusa »

I have kept at it for the rest of the day, and at one point had 3 AMD CCC entries, and unconfigurable graphics in all of them, even the monitors app stopped responding, ah for the love of.........I finally was laughing at my situattion and shaking my head. I have to little experience to understand which config file would have been causing it and even less understanding as to where I might find said file. I finally, did a fresh install of Mint 13 Mate and following your advice will attempt to recreate the results and post as you requested in a new thread.

Thank you.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

Schoelje wrote:Does this make any difference:

I would like to know if the above command would also work on a single gpu ATI card (it would make adapting DDM for hybrid cards a lot easier).
NO it didn't
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Niks wrote:
Schoelje wrote:Does this make any difference:

NO it didn't
Well, that's exactly what I suspected. So, DDM checks on the number of cards to decide which command is most suitable.
vaibhav_adsul

Post by vaibhav_adsul »

Niks wrote:Well after Googleing my fingers to the bone I found my solution. :D

Use Synaptic to remove any flgrx packages you can find.
Open the Terminal and type these commands

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control
Although not advised I had to use --force to install the drivers which worked for me :wink:

sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial
I now have the Catalyst Control Center and as far as I'm concerned this is the best driver I have used with this card so far. :mrgreen:

Schoelje very sorry I didn't see your post before I tried this but don't see if it has any point now......but I still have two other ATI cards that need your help and they are to old for the new AMD/ATI drivers .... :roll:
Are you really sure this works on first try?
I've been struggling to get my Hybrid Intel/AMD to work.

I'm using LM 14 KDE 64 bit, on HP Pavilion g6 1201-tx.
Intel HD 3000 and Radeon 6470M HD 1GB.
All packages upgraded and no other tweaks.

I've tried to install AMDCCC, but finally Xserver crashes.

So will you recommend me to do as you said? Thanks. Please reply ASAP.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”