Brother HL-4150cdn & 64-bit Mint Maya can't print

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
moxiemontague

Brother HL-4150cdn & 64-bit Mint Maya can't print

Post by moxiemontague »

Have a Brother color laser printer with wired networking. Mint finds the printer on the network but cannot use it.
If I disconnect the network and hook up via USB, Mints finds the printer but prints everything in B&W.

Somebody please help. I'll buy you virtual beers.

Thanks a lot.

moxiemontague
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jwedekin

Re: Brother HL-4150cdn & 64-bit Mint Maya can't print

Post by jwedekin »

Hey,
I just figured out an issue with my wirelessly networked Brother printer. It may be the same thing affecting you.

When I added a printer using the Printer app under Administration, it finds my printer, installs the drivers, and says it is installed, but it will not print.

The issue is the Device URI not resolving properly. I don't know why.

Here is how I resolved it.
1. Figure out what the IP address is of the printer. (I logged into my router and viewed the "connected devices" to find the IP address assigned to my network printer, but there may be an easier way). In my case it was 192.168.1.10, but yours will likely be different.
2. Open up the Printer app, right click on the printer (that is installed but not printing), and select "Properties".
3. If you have the issue I have, then the field "Device URI" will say something like: lpd://BRW00234D70A462/BINARY_P1
Change the host to the IP address you determined in step 1. So it looks something like: lpd://192.168.1.10/BINARY_P1
4. Hit "Apply" and hope the test page works!!
moxiemontague

Post by moxiemontague »

Your idea doesn't work. My printer install window shows the printer alright, but there's no way I can get "properties"

Thanks for the get-back.

still stumped.

moxiemontague
jwedekin

Post by jwedekin »

Woa! You can't get to the "Properties" setting?

Are we talking about the same program? I am using the system "Printing" application found in:
Menu > Administration > Printing

Even if I install a fake printer that doesn't exist, I can still right-click on it in this application and select "Properties". If your printer shows up in this list, but you can't access the properties, then there may be something wrong with your installation of LinuxMint. But I'm not a pro, so that is just a guess.

Are you using Mate or Cinnamon?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

There's a bug with Ubuntu with network printers, the current work around is I've found is to add the printer with

sudo system-config-printer

Give this a shot
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
newconvert

Post by newconvert »

Thanks marcus0263, you just got me printing on my network laser.

Spent about 45 minutes trying to get Mint 14 Cinnamon to print to it after installing it. Linux saw the printer right away on the network, but made no attempt to actually send a print job to it, either from an application or the "Print Test Page" button. I noticed it said the printer was "Text only", but didn't think much of it, and there was no place to change it.

Your command brought up the real Printers configuration box, that let me install a postscript driver for it. Now I can print my job for tomorrow without having to boot up Windows. Thanks again for the solution.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so moxie .................are you still out there?

I am wondering if you have the Brother printer drivers installed from the Brother site .. I would think you need the specific drivers that Brother supply .........

if you open a terminal: (go to Menu; bottom left of screen; go 4 up: TERMINAL; )

copy and paste this command: use the edit menu at the top of the terminal as the terminal uses shift-control-v for the paste command
sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
and copy and paste the result back:

.....if the drivers aren't installed, I can guide you on using Brother's installer script that should do the magic things for you

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... tml#f00104
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

you may have to work through this debugging wiki

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

........tell us a little more .............just installed the printer? .....newly purchased? ............. never used this one on a linux system? ...........how did you install the drivers ..

........installed as per here

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... prn1a.html

.......lpr first and then cupswrapper?
lambda165

Post by lambda165 »

I would like to know if you can get the 4150 to print duplex if you aren't using KDE. Mint 14 KDE cannot print duplex. The only way to print duplex is to use virtualbox and set up a Windows installation that, unlike mint KDE, has no problem printing correctly.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi lambda 165:

please start a new thread so you can get the attention you need; the previous post was on a different topic to you
WasLinspire

Post by WasLinspire »

sudo system-config-printer
this worked for me to get my brother 2070n printer working in KDE mint 14, i had to change to windows samba in the properteries , then samba found it and i installed it and it is now printing
nottusd

Post by nottusd »

:D I followed the instructions above (sudo system-config-printer) for printing to a Brother 4150CDN on a network and it would not work as I could not find a 4150 model listed, but when I used the driver for a 4050CDN it did print. I printed the ubuntu printer test page OK.
Driver name 'BR4050_2,PPD'
Version '1.08'
Linux Mint 14 64 bit

nottusd

Return to “Printers & Scanners”