The unofficial LMDE XFCE - startup

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjaythomas

Re: The unofficial LMDE XFCE

Post by jjaythomas »

If any one interested...
preparing for a RC

Installed remastersys (testing wheezy one) will install make a remaster (tho haven't tried installing from live). Have used the Ubuntu version for couple years (on Xubuntu) have also used this testing one on other Debians, so have no reason think won't.

Rematersys a easy backup as alternative to a 'Virtualbox image or clonezilla' and moveable between computers. :)

http://www.remastersys.com/forums/index ... pic=2511.0

J.Jay
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks for the link 'JJ'. I gotta look into that..... :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GeneC wrote:That is better...
but the question is :shock: does it worky?
(i'm stuck in kde for a few more hours <ohh the pain :lol: > and can't reboot)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zerozero wrote: but the question is :shock: does it worky?
Heck, you want it to WORK too? :shock:
Well.... Not realy. It looks pretty, but doesn't keep the changes.

I applied Schoelje's fixes..
It seems that Alacarte is looking for gnome-applications-menu hard-coded
As symlink fixes the problem:

Code: Select all

cd $HOME/.config/menus
ln -s xfce-applications.menu gnome-applications.menu
And
Fix Alacarte:

sed -i -e '/gnome-desktop-item-edit/ s/gnome/exo/' /usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MainWindow.py
sed -i -e '/gnome-/ s/gnome/xfce/' /usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py
Now I open a pretty 'alacarte', and the 'edit laucher' gui opens and takes text, but does not save... :roll:

Nothing unusual with terminal output (the usual Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error:), but that is it?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GeneC wrote:Heck, you want it to WORK too? :shock:
:lol: well, if it's not ask too much (i see it is Image)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

I spoke too quickly....

It does work. (log out/in ?).

Just created an "alacarte" entry in "OTHER" and it shows up in xfce menu and (MInt Menu -I had to install it... :oops: )

New menu entry...... :D
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

It's so weird, but it magically works.

The source is quite lengthy, and there's quite a bit of inheritance and almost NO comments/docs. Not exactly yummy. :?

As for the Users and Groups manager, as someone mentioned, we could look at MATE's implementation. But if it doesn't work, I think there should be a fork.
Remember that if you fork, I will spoon (you). :lol: jk

And xfce-settings-manager, or whatever it's called. Do you think that the WM and Appearance settings forms should combine functionality in some way? Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I know it's a monster project, but I think that it might be more practical. Just thinking of ways to make Xfce better... After all, it doesn't have that many devs.

(Sorry for my absence and lack of participation, but school and work are currently sucking the life out of me.)
Last edited by dritzominous on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Welcome back, Dritz... :)

LIFE is sucking the life out of ME.. :?
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

GeneC wrote:LIFE is sucking the life out of ME..
I should quote you for that someday. Oh wait... :lol:
Last edited by dritzominous on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GeneC wrote:LIFE is sucking the life out of ME.. :?
:wink:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Remastersys clone work (on install from remaster now) :D

Now getting uptight waiting on 64Bit RC (Hopefully) 8)

J.Jay
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

see using the new weather plugin...NICE :D

I think that's the plugin I wanted on mint13 but the repo to the PPA version of Xfce were mismatched (others also)

J.Jay
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Install Alacarte:

apt-get install --no-install-recommends alacarte
sed -i -e '/gnome-desktop-item-edit/ s/gnome/exo/' /usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MainWindow.py
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

To make Alacarte a bit more future-proof, I added Xfce support and created a pull request in github:
https://github.com/GNOME/alacarte/pulls

Hopefully the maintainers will include the patch so that in future we won't have these problems.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote::lol: Gene that is a big N :shock:
if you install it with

--no-install-recommends
will it be functional (well, as much as alacarte can be nowadays :mrgreen: :?: )
I asked the maintainers to drop the "Recommends: gnome-panel" in their deb file.
That should fix the pull in of unnecessary dependencies.

[EDIT]
You can download the patched deb here: http://schoelje.nl/lmdexfce/packages/al ... -1_all.deb
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:Install Alacarte:

apt-get install --no-install-recommends alacarte
just to be sure: in my install (beta1) alacarte is pre-installed (can give the logs later but as far as i can remember is an installation from dec 4th)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:just to be sure: in my install (beta1) alacarte is pre-installed (can give the logs later but as far as i can remember is an installation from dec 4th)
Afirmative!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

now that all the major issues are solved (as far as i can see >> apart from that odd networks icon rendering problem) i have a more general concern:

all the xfce4.10 are local packages (from siduction), when debian migrates 4.10 into testing (not before next spring for sure) all the replaces will be smooth or is there changes in the siduction packages version number that might cause breakages?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:now that all the major issues are solved (as far as i can see >> apart from that odd networks icon rendering problem) i have a more general concern:

all the xfce4.10 are local packages (from siduction), when debian migrates 4.10 into testing (not before next spring for sure) all the replaces will be smooth or is there changes in the siduction packages version number that might cause breakages?
I think that's a rhetorical question :)
There's no way to be sure if the upgrade will or won't cause problems.
It was a choice: go with siductions 4.10 or keep the older version from the Debian repositories.
There's another solution: get my own repositories, but that'll be a bit more complicated (where to host, what's it going to cost, lack of experience, time, etc).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:I think that's a rhetorical question :)
yep that's me :lol:
Schoelje wrote:There's no way to be sure if the upgrade will or won't cause problems
actually there is (kinda of: let's downgrade to the version on testing, if that path goes ok we can assume with better certainty that the upgrade is also safe)

big red warning: don't do this in a production machine, apt doesn't support downgrades and the risks are far too high
1- we start with (as you can see there's a lot of 4.10.x pkgs in there)

zerozero@un-xfce-b1:~$ dpkg -l | grep xfce
ii  gtk2-engines-xfce                      3.0.1-1                              i386         GTK+-2.0 theme engine for Xfce
ii  libxfce4ui-1-0                         4.10.0-1                             i386         widget library for Xfce
ii  libxfce4ui-utils                       4.10.0-1                             i386         Utility files for libxfce4ui
ii  libxfce4util-bin                       4.10.0-2                             i386         tools for libxfce4util
ii  libxfce4util-common                    4.10.0-2                             all          common files for libxfce4util
ii  libxfce4util4                          4.8.2-1                              i386         Utility functions library for Xfce4
ii  libxfce4util6                          4.10.0-2                             i386         Utility functions library for Xfce4
ii  libxfcegui4-4                          4.10.0-1                             i386         Basic GUI C functions for Xfce4
ii  lmdexfce-artwork                       1.0.0                                all          Default artwork for Linux Mint
ii  lmdexfce-lightdm-adjustments           1.0.0                                all          Adjust settings and background for lightdm
ii  lmdexfce-system-adjustments            1.0.0                                all          Debian adjustments specific to LMDE Xfce.
ii  mint-info-debian-xfce                  2012.09.12                           i386         Necessary information about the Linux Mint release and edition.
ii  plymouth-themes-lmdexfce               1.5.0                                all          Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (LMDE Xfce theme)
ii  xfce-keyboard-shortcuts                4.10.0-1                             all          xfce keyboard shortcuts configuration
ii  xfce4                                  4.10.0                               all          Meta-package for the Xfce Lightweight Desktop Environment
ii  xfce4-appfinder                        4.10.0-1                             i386         Application finder for the Xfce4 Desktop Environment
ii  xfce4-battery-plugin                   1.0.5-1.2                            i386         battery monitor plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-cellmodem-plugin                 0.0.5-3.1                            i386         cellular modem plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-clipman                          2:1.2.3-1.2                          i386         clipboard history utility
ii  xfce4-clipman-plugin                   2:1.2.3-1.2                          i386         clipboard history plugin for Xfce panel
ii  xfce4-cpufreq-plugin                   1.0.0-4.1                            i386         cpufreq information plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-cpugraph-plugin                  1.0.3-1.1                            i386         CPU load graph plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-datetime-plugin                  0.6.1-3.1                            i386         date and time plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-dict                             0.6.0-5.1                            i386         Dictionary plugin for Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-diskperf-plugin                  2.5.4-1.1                            i386         disk performance display plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-fsguard-plugin                   1.0.1-1.1                            i386         filesystem monitor plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-genmon-plugin                    3.4.0-1.1                            i386         Generic Monitor for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-hdaps                            0.0.9-1.1                            i386         plugin to indicate the status of HDAPS for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-indicator-plugin                 0.5.0-1.1                            i386         plugin to display information from applications in the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-linelight-plugin                 0.1.7-2.1                            i386         Search plugin for Xfce panel
ii  xfce4-mailwatch-plugin                 1.1.0-5.1                            i386         mail watcher plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-messenger-plugin                 0.1.0-5.1                            i386         Dbus messages plugin for xfce4-panel
ii  xfce4-mixer                            4.10.0-1                             i386         Xfce mixer application
ii  xfce4-mount-plugin                     0.6.4-1.1                            i386         mount plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-mpc-plugin                       0.4.4-1.1                            i386         Xfce panel plugin which serves as client for MPD music player
ii  xfce4-netload-plugin                   1.1.0-1.1                            i386         network load monitor plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-notes                            1.7.7-2.1                            i386         Notes application for the Xfce4 desktop
ii  xfce4-notes-plugin                     1.7.7-2.1                            i386         Notes plugin for the Xfce4 desktop
ii  xfce4-notifyd                          0.2.2-2                              i386         simple, visually-appealing notification daemon for Xfce
ii  xfce4-panel                            4.10.0-1.1                           i386         panel for Xfce4 desktop environment
ii  xfce4-places-plugin                    1.3.0-1.1                            i386         quick access to folders, documents and removable media
ii  xfce4-power-manager                    1.2.0-1                              i386         power manager for Xfce desktop
ii  xfce4-power-manager-data               1.2.0-1                              all          power manager for Xfce desktop, arch-indep files
ii  xfce4-power-manager-plugins            1.2.0-1                              i386         power manager plugins for Xfce panel
ii  xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin             1.9.4-9.1                            i386         rapid launcher plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-radio-plugin                     0.5.1-1.1                            i386         v4l radio control plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-screenshooter                    1.8.1-1+b1                           i386         screenshots utility for Xfce
ii  xfce4-sensors-plugin                   1.2.5-1.1                            i386         hardware sensors plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-session                          4.10.0-2                             i386         Xfce4 Session Manager
ii  xfce4-settings                         4.10.0-1                             i386         graphical application for managing Xfce settings
ii  xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin             0.4.4-1.1                            i386         search the web via the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-systemload-plugin                1.1.1-1.1                            i386         system load monitor plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-taskmanager                      1.0.0-2                              i386         process manager for the Xfce4 Desktop Environment
ii  xfce4-terminal                         0.4.8-1+b1                           i386         Xfce terminal emulator
ii  xfce4-timer-plugin                     0.6.3-1.1                            i386         timer plugin for Xfce panel
ii  xfce4-verve-plugin                     1.0.0-1.1                            i386         Verve (command line) plugin for Xfce panel
ii  xfce4-volumed                          0.1.13-3                             i386         volume keys daemon
ii  xfce4-wavelan-plugin                   0.5.11-1.1                           i386         wavelan status plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-weather-plugin                   0.8.2-1.2                            i386         weather information plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfce4-wmdock-plugin                    0.3.4-1.1                            i386         Compatibility layer for running WindowMaker dockapps on Xfce
ii  xfce4-xkb-plugin                       0.5.4.3-1.1                          i386         xkb layout switch plugin for the Xfce4 panel
ii  xfdesktop4                             4.10.0-2                             i386         xfce desktop background, icons and root menu manager
ii  xfdesktop4-data                        4.10.0-2                             all          xfce desktop background, icons and root menu (common files)
2- we have to instruct apt to downgrade certain pkgs (apt-pinning) so we add a new rule to /etc/apt/preferences

Package: xfce*
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 1001
it's not perfect as we'll see further down but serves for now :lol:

3- i will be using a dry-run switch

apt update

sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
(this will actually downgrade :shock: the pkgs)

zerozero@un-xfce-b1:~$ sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
[sudo] password for zerozero: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libxfce4ui-utils orage xfce4
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  xfce4-utils xinput
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  xfce-keyboard-shortcuts xfce4-appfinder xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-cellmodem-plugin xfce4-clipman xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpufreq-plugin
  xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-datetime-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-diskperf-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-genmon-plugin xfce4-hdaps xfce4-indicator-plugin
  xfce4-linelight-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-messenger-plugin xfce4-mixer xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-mpc-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes
  xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-panel xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-power-manager xfce4-power-manager-data xfce4-power-manager-plugins xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin
  xfce4-radio-plugin xfce4-sensors-plugin xfce4-session xfce4-settings xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-timer-plugin
  xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-wavelan-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-wmdock-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 42 downgraded, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
4- (that rule in point 2 is too generic and might not downgrade all the pkgs) if i was doing a real downgrade i would check again with

dpkg -l | grep xfce
to see if some pkg wasn't downgraded automatically (can happen due to dependencies) and with

sudo apt-get -s install xfce4-session
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  xfce4-appfinder xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-cellmodem-plugin
  xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpufreq-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
  xfce4-datetime-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-diskperf-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin
  xfce4-genmon-plugin xfce4-hdaps xfce4-indicator-plugin
  xfce4-linelight-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-messenger-plugin
  xfce4-mixer xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-mpc-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin
  xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-panel xfce4-places-plugin
  xfce4-power-manager-plugins xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-radio-plugin
  xfce4-sensors-plugin xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin
  xfce4-timer-plugin xfce4-utils xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-wavelan-plugin
  xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-wmdock-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin xinput
Suggested packages:
  mpd xsensors fortunes-mod
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libxfce4ui-utils orage xfce4
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  xfce4-utils xinput
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  xfce4-appfinder xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-cellmodem-plugin
  xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpufreq-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
  xfce4-datetime-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-diskperf-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin
  xfce4-genmon-plugin xfce4-hdaps xfce4-indicator-plugin
  xfce4-linelight-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-messenger-plugin
  xfce4-mixer xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-mpc-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin
  xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-panel xfce4-places-plugin
  xfce4-power-manager-plugins xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-radio-plugin
  xfce4-sensors-plugin xfce4-session xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin
  xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-timer-plugin xfce4-verve-plugin
  xfce4-wavelan-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-wmdock-plugin
  xfce4-xkb-plugin
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 36 downgraded, 3 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
would solve the pending issues

Return to “Chat about Linux”