No Data In Weather Applet

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaybird_62613

No Data In Weather Applet

Post by jaybird_62613 »

I'm getting no data in the xfce weather applet. I've combed through quite a few searches, but can find any help. By all that I can see Xfce 4.10 should work, but it doesn't.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aac74

Re: No Data In Weather Applet

Post by aac74 »

need to right click applet > properties > location > change > search

however the search lookup seems to be broken at the moment ? Maybe an upstream problem with xfce goodies ?
jaybird_62613

Post by jaybird_62613 »

Yeah, that's what I did, but as you say, maybe the service is down. Does anyone know how to test this to validate that that is the problem and not something about my install? Everything else works great. I'm running the Xfce version and this is the best running linux I've ever installed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

I tested now adding weather applet to bottom panel, the first advise was a error box, right click on the applet and clicked on properties, marked "use proxy server" , close and it start to work and show my local weather. (Obvious that it is necessary a Internet link)
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
jaybird_62613

Post by jaybird_62613 »

What did you put in the proxy settings? Did you mark the auto-detect from environment box? I tried marking the proxy box, but it asks for settings. Maybe it depends on where you live?
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Only checked "use proxy server" and closed the dialog box asking proxy settings, and the applet start to show my weather. I am running LM14 , xfce.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
jaybird_62613

Post by jaybird_62613 »

That didn't work for me, still no data. At first, when I tried marking only the use proxy box, a window popped up and told me to enter the proxy information and unchecked the use proxy box for me. I realized I had to then put a space in for the proxy and it managed to keep the use proxy box checked, but produced no data. I did manage to a website or two that provided proxy IP address and ports. I tried using a couple of these and did get some data to appear, but it was not the weather for my area. One time it was Atlanta another time New York City and still another some place in Oregon. Not much help considering I'm located in the midwest of the US. No matter what city I would enter, the weather info was the same though it would show the name of the city I entered.

One other strange thing that might indicate that the applet is just crazy right now. Several times the applet's properties option was greyed out on the dropdown menu. I couldn't change anything then. I had to remove the applet and add it again. I'm about to give up on it. A shame too. It's not a show stopper for me, but I really use the weather applet, no matter what disto or DE I run. I'll have to find another way to get my weather.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Did you check the md5sum of downloaded iso?

Try to reinstall weather applet:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xfce4-weather-plugin
I am using cairo-dock too, and some people said that weather applet could be linking with cairo-dock weather applet.
LM 21 Cinnamon
aac74

Post by aac74 »

been looking for an alternative weather applet but they all seem broken except this one:

package: my-weather-indicator
in this ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~atareao/+archive/atareao

after installing the ppa (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao)
and installing the package (sudo apt-get my-weather-indicator)
can run with command: my-weather-indicator
will then get a weather icon in the xfce indicator plugin in the panel.

click on the icon > preferences and set you location,
set the service to world weather online
and set your units
and the icon
and check autostart

click the applet and select forecast for 5 day weather

seems to work well so far and also seems like it is under active development
jaybird_62613

Post by jaybird_62613 »

Thank you for the help.

Jungle - I did try uninstalling and re-installing the applet, but to no avail. Still not working.

aac74 - I was able to get this solution in place, but still IT doesn't work as it should. It doesn't show the temperature on the icon. It's ok though, better than nothing. I'm happy. Once again, thanks.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

The new 'unofficial LMDE-Xfce must be using this one!

Testing the Beta (also uses Xfce4.10 and UPack6). Plugin works and looks like above screenee.

J.Jay
Can't live without love to call relatives/friends when see their cold have snow, but I don't sometimes their snow we're wearing shorts outside. :lol:
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

I do not know what is it...

I am using LM13 cinnamon, and the weather applet stopped to work last Monday too...

It was running fine before Monday...
Last edited by jungle_boy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LM 21 Cinnamon
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

I added the applet, entered zip code to configure and it is working. Earlier versions may not work because the API key for weather.com has expired - see more here.

Pat
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thank you
Earlier versions may not work because the API key for weather.com has expired - see more here.
must renew yearly (or 2) happened couple years back also

J.Jay
aac74

Post by aac74 »

there is a package called indicator-weather in the repos too.

Its designed for unity but works in xfce however when I tried it the location lookup wasn't working thus rendering it useless at the moment.

It displays the temperature in the panel but only gives a 2 day forecast.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

Thank you aac74 - I've installed this weather applet in LM13 Mate and it works great! I am delighted! :)

aac74 wrote:been looking for an alternative weather applet but they all seem broken except this one:

package: my-weather-indicator
in this ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~atareao/+archive/atareao

after installing the ppa (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao)
and installing the package (sudo apt-get my-weather-indicator)
can run with command: my-weather-indicator
will then get a weather icon in the xfce indicator plugin in the panel.

click on the icon > preferences and set you location,
set the service to world weather online
and set your units
and the icon
and check autostart

click the applet and select forecast for 5 day weather

seems to work well so far and also seems like it is under active development
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I almost assumed this was a old post
Because
the weather plugin (Xfce panel) works as expected in LMint 15 Xfce version. And I believe it was backported into the LTS version (LMint 13). Try reinstalling the plugin in 'synaptic package-manager! :?

J.Jay
Fixitmanarizona
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fixitmanarizona »

Pat (Palo) is correct. With ubuntu 12.02 and its derivitaves, with xfce-panel 4.8, the indicator does not work. Version is 8.2 or below even with updates. You have to update to version 8.3 or above of the indicator, which requires XFCE 4.10 or above panel (which I discourage because many things on it do not work "properly" such as not showing all applications in the menu, for example.) It's just not worth it, unless you're doing a distribution upgrade, in which case I'd wait for the next LTS which is due in April 2014 (ubuntu 14.04 and derivatives,) which will use XFCE panel 4.11 or 4.12.
I tried Xubuntu 12.10, 13.04, and 13.10, and the indicator worked fine, but the problem was, nothing else worked correctly!
The version of the panel that works, as I said, requires an entire XFCE update, or you'll run into problems. They have not backported the new version to the older XFCE, I'm not sure if it's just the way it's coded to require features of the newer panel or what. The dev PPA where you can get it does not inform you of this, and think about it, it's a devolopment version, so you'll not want to try all the "experimental" stuff on it. Versioning for some reason is very important here.
I haven't checked, but other window manager systems such as KDE may have something but again, you'll be changing your whole system for one small indicator.
I'm back on 12.04, happy, and I just installed the accuweather indicator IN MY BROWSER instead. I figure I pretty much have the browser open if I'm online anyway, so that works fine. (In Firefox and the status bar is hidden you'll get NOTHING, install status4evar and set it to show the bottom panel, and this will work.) I couldn't get any of them to work in the latest (31) Chromium/Chrome, as it does not, by default, have widgets or non-static indicators anymore, and obviously no status bar. I think the whole idea of applets/system tray icons is going by the wayside! (Chrome does have extensions where you can set new tab to show the information, but that's inconvenient.)
Fixitmanarizona

Return to “Xfce”