What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acw89

Re: What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Post by acw89 »

Found yet another thing about Cinnamon that is a bit annoying. :roll:

On the panel going left to right, we have the Quick Launch area, the Windows List area and the notification area.
I have noticed that as applications that are minimized collect in the Windows List area, they do not scale down
but will start to overlap the Quick Launch area. If I have 5 programs minimized I am fine, but as soon as I
open up and minimize the 6th program, the Quick Launch ends up getting covered.

I would assume this is a function of Cinnamon, but wonder if it could be a fault of the Theme I am using.

If someone knows a fix for this I would appreciate it. I looked everywhere I could think of feeling this might
be a setting I need to change, but to no avail.

:mrgreen:

System: Host: --- Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Just found this thread (although it seems to have been around for a while with 6 pages).

My major complaint about Cinnamon are that with two monitors, the shadow around the panel appears on the second monitor, so you have a small shadow in the corner of the second monitor. My other complaint is that the window animations are not particularly fluid, even with a decent graphics card. I guess it's easier to be a critic than an autor :) .
iamcross

Post by iamcross »

I don't like the fact that the menu opens too slow.

Also, I dislike the bar that adds at the top of every window. It consumes too much space.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

acw89 wrote:Found yet another thing about Cinnamon that is a bit annoying. :roll:

On the panel going left to right, we have the Quick Launch area, the Windows List area and the notification area.
I have noticed that as applications that are minimized collect in the Windows List area, they do not scale down
but will start to overlap the Quick Launch area. If I have 5 programs minimized I am fine, but as soon as I
open up and minimize the 6th program, the Quick Launch ends up getting covered.

I would assume this is a function of Cinnamon, but wonder if it could be a fault of the Theme I am using.

If someone knows a fix for this I would appreciate it. I looked everywhere I could think of feeling this might
be a setting I need to change, but to no avail.
See this post - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=104756

Hopefully that will fix the problem.
acw89

Post by acw89 »

I have given up on Cinnamon.

Just seems like when you change things .. other things get changed that make no sense and then you can not easily change them back.
Did super backup and then reloaded Mint 13 Mate addition. Much better .. Only a few problems.

Will come back to Cinnamon perahps someday when its more ironed out...

Glad to at least have a choice :mrgreen:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

acw89 wrote: Just seems like when you change things .. other things get changed that make no sense and then you can not easily change them back
You should file that as a bug report :D
acw89

Post by acw89 »

bimsebasse, If I could replicate the issues I would put together a bug report, but the behavior was getting so irregular. I had a lot of problems with stuff on the panel. Then the system would freeze and I would have to reboot.

I may return to Cinnamon someday as I am sure I can load it back, but its far too agrevating to deal with now. I felt I just was not getting the right "Bang for my buck" from this upgrade. Some learning curves and minor gliches are worth putting up with, but if I do not feel I am gaining anything and, am in fact losing the simple customization I am used to, then its time to say good bye to Cinnamon.

I upgraded to Mint 13 Mate and am totally happy with it. So glad we have a choice. :mrgreen:

Linux is not like Windows........ Thank God!!!! :lol:
eejd

Post by eejd »

Where can I find he setting to prevent screen blanking?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

eejd wrote:Where can I find he setting to prevent screen blanking?
System Settings -> Brightness and Lock. Though if you only have the screen blanking issue with VLC, that is a known problem of VLC...
RobCandee

Post by RobCandee »

I also do not like the loss of the scrollbar arrows. A suggestion was made above to use a theme that contains them - but is there any way to find such a theme besides selecting them one by one? None of the themes that came with Cinnamon seem to have them.

For me this is not a simple matter of personal taste - on both machines that I own, the touchpad has the least amount of control; the mouse wheel has better control, and using the mouse to click and slide the scrollbar the best of the three - but in many cases that best is still insufficient. The lack of scrollbar arrows make a task that used to be fairly easy into a real chore.
nomko

Post by nomko »

What i don't like is this: When i open the Cinnamon menu, i see more entries than in the menu editor. There are some entries in the menu i would like to uncheck so it is not visible in the Cinnamon menu. But when i go to the menu editor, those entries are missing. I'm not at home right now, but as soon as i'm home ill make some screenshots to clarify this.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

nomko wrote:When i open the Cinnamon menu, i see more entries than in the menu editor.
Yes, you can not use the menu editor to for entries in the Preferences or Administration section of the menu.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ingeva »

Well, I really don't know. I stopped using it a long time ago. Looks too much like Windows and Mac, I guess. MATE is nice though - as long as it may last.
Mint rules! (20.1 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)
sofasufi

Post by sofasufi »

As someone who's just moved over to Linux from XP, I'm moving Mint 13 Cinnamon. There are a few niggling problems like an inability - for me anyway - to create custom short cuts. I also find tweaking the panel often causes unwanted things to happen. I think it's great that the Mint team are really getting behind Cinnamon, as I think it can be a real winner in the DE department. However, I would gladly sacrifice some leading edge functionality in the shorter term, for greater stability & ironing out existing bugs. Having said that, I LOVE CINNAMON. Serious eye candy & intuitive in my opinion. Great work Mint crew!!!
nomko

Post by nomko »

ingeva wrote:Well, I really don't know. I stopped using it a long time ago. Looks too much like Windows and Mac, I guess. MATE is nice though - as long as it may last.
MATE gives me also a Windows feelings...
seckford

Post by seckford »

I can live with most of the defaults, although the inability to organise the panel layout is annoying,
and so are the (non) scrolling menus.

The real snag is the lack of fixed window positions in Nemo; I hope that's added sometime soon.
However, although Cinnamon isn't as good as Gnome 2, it's way, way ahead of anything else around.

Will
d00med

Post by d00med »

seckford wrote:I can live with most of the defaults, although the inability to organise the panel layout is annoying,
and so are the (non) scrolling menus.

The real snag is the lack of fixed window positions in Nemo; I hope that's added sometime soon.
However, although Cinnamon isn't as good as Gnome 2, it's way, way ahead of anything else around.

Will
You can organize the panel layout by right-clicking on the panel and turning on panel edit mode, and you can add and remove elements in that popup menu as well.

The fixed window thing can be annoying, but that's a GTK3 limitation. There's an app called Devil's Pie that will position your windows on launch, until that's implemented.
iamcross wrote:I don't like the fact that the menu opens too slow.

Also, I dislike the bar that adds at the top of every window. It consumes too much space.
The Windows 7 menu applet is a lot faster, and you can speed up menu rendering in your theme by editing its CSS file (cinnamon.css, change all transitions to zero: transition-duration: 0;)
Gandalf the White

Post by Gandalf the White »

Forgive, me but I haven't read through all these dislikes. This may have been indicated already and if so than I'll just add my voice to the count.

PASSWORDS. PASSWORDS. PASSWORDS. PASSWORDS. PASSWORDS. PASSWORDS. PASSWORDS. PASSWORDS. PASSWORDS.

Not only to log into the computer, but for access to every program another PASSWORD request.
I saw a forum on line where you had to answer four questions each time you wanted to submit a post.
Needless to say I'm not an active member of that forum.

I used to work at America's NSA, so believe me when I say, if a bad guy wants access to your computer, either physically or on line, they'll get it. All these PASSWORDS are only irritants for the good guys. To the real bad guys, it is just a good laugh.

Gandalf
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The topic is what you do not like about Cinnamon, not what you do not like about the operating system. That you need to enter your password when you start a program as root is defined by the operating system (sudo configuration), not Cinnamon :wink:

It's also on by default as a sensible setting for users new to Linux and non-technical users. More experienced users can, if they want, disable it by changing the sudo configuration.
Gandalf the White

Post by Gandalf the White »

xenopeek wrote:The topic is what you do not like about Cinnamon, not what you do not like about the operating system. That you need to enter your password when you start a program as root is defined by the operating system (sudo configuration), not Cinnamon :wink:

It's also on by default as a sensible setting for users new to Linux and non-technical users. More experienced users can, if they want, disable it by changing the sudo configuration.
Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Sorry about the confusion between OS and whatever Cinnamon is called.
Off to hunt down this sudo configuration location. I've got one unit on Cinnamon and one on MATE (installed last night). I'm sure the location won't be the same. I am testing methods to see which I like better and which crunches best for WCG Cancer Research.

Again thanks for the info. :idea:

Return to “Cinnamon”