Activate Nemo and Encryption

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Richie2010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Richie2010 »

Hello
I installed Linux Mint 13 LTS Cinnamon (and backport) and all looks great but i have 2 questions.

Does anyone know how to active Nemo and remove Nautilus as the file system?

and the other is about Encryption. I did not encrypt the drive because i know that no one will have physical access to my computer but me. Or does encryption somehow make it so that someone who tries to gain access remotely - it will be impossible for them?
My other concern is this. Maybe i do not understand how this works - But lets say I encrypt the entire drive. And then i make backup copies of my .docx files - Will those also be encrypted? If yes, then it seems like a big mess to type a password to see the file each time. Again, Maybe i do not understand how that works.
I saw we can encrypt the /home or the entire drive.

Oh have another question - Does anyone have a link to a posting how to lock down our mint installation. Or is it enough that we just use the host file to block all access except to 127.0.0.1

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Activate Nemo and Encryption

Post by xenopeek »

Nemo should already be your default file manager I think. Please double-check that Nemo is indeed correctly installed. Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l nemo*
It should report as follows:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version        Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
ii  nemo           1.1.2+maya     file manager and graphical shell for GNOME
ii  nemo-data      1.1.2+maya     data files for nemo
ii  nemo-filerolle 1.0.0+maya     File Roller integration for Nemo
If that is the case, you can remove Nautilus. Except for for the libraries libnautilus-extension1a and nautilus-data, which are needed by various other programs, you can fully remove Nautilus with:

sudo apt-get purge gnome-sushi nautilus nautilus-gksu nautilus-open-terminal nautilus-sendto nautilus-sendto-empathy nautilus-share nautilus-wallpaper
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As to your other questions (oops, forgot about those :wink:), whether you have an encrypted file system or not does not matter for somebody that tries to gain access remotely. Any file that you have you access, somebody else can access remotely if they gain access to your system while you are using it. An encrypted file system is to prevent somebody that has physical access to your computer from accessing your files.

If during installation you had selected to encrypt your home folder, the files would be encrypted always on the hard disk, but once you are logged in the operating system lets you transparently access these files. So if you are logged in, and your backup program is reading files that are encrypted on the hard disk, the operating system transparently unencrypts these files for the backup program (or whatever other program access the files). It's not to prevent you from doing anything with your files, it's to prevent anybody else from doing anything with your files while you are away. And again, somebody access your computer remotely while you are using it can access these files because you are logged in...

Linux Mint comes enabled with some services to facilitate interoperability with other computers in your home, but those services are not accessible outside your home. You don't need a firewall for that and so Linux Mint doesn't enable it by default. Some more details about these services and how you are not at risk at home, here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 92#p599112. You can enable your firewall (ufw) easily and you can disable some services if you don't need them (see the link in the post I linked you to). To enable your firewall, open Firewall Configuration from the menu, Unlock it, slide status to ON, and set Incoming to Deny. That's it, you can close the Firewall Configuration now and you don't need to open it again unless you want to change some firewall rule.
Richie2010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Richie2010 »

@xenopeek Thank you so very much for your great replies. Just perfect! :D
TxLnx

Post by TxLnx »

xenopeek wrote:Nemo should already be your default file manager I think. Please double-check that Nemo is indeed correctly installed. Open a terminal and run:

dpkg -l nemo*
It should report as follows:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version        Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
ii  nemo           1.1.2+maya     file manager and graphical shell for GNOME
ii  nemo-data      1.1.2+maya     data files for nemo
ii  nemo-filerolle 1.0.0+maya     File Roller integration for Nemo
If that is the case, you can remove Nautilus. Except for for the libraries libnautilus-extension1a and nautilus-data, which are needed by various other programs, you can fully remove Nautilus with:

sudo apt-get purge gnome-sushi nautilus nautilus-gksu nautilus-open-terminal nautilus-sendto nautilus-sendto-empathy nautilus-share nautilus-wallpaper
Thanks xenopeek, this info helped me a lot. I backported the Cinnamon/Nemo upgrade to my LM 13 Maya install and couldn't figure out why Nemo wasn't showing up as file manager. Removed Nautilus using the above code in terminal and Nemo showed up. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”