How long can you run Mint before "Slow Down"

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

How long can you run Mint before "Slow Down"

Post by Garvan »

I have two console programs that require a long time to complete. One max'es out both CPU's and takes between 24 and 36 hours to complete running. Right from the beginning the system is unresponsive, but that is expected. But It should start working again when the program finishes, shouldn't it? When it finishes the system is so slow it is very difficult to shut down the computer. It might take five or ten minutes of trying to shut down programs and get the menu to respond.

A second program uses only one CPU so the system remains responsive at the start. But the program takes longer to complete, more than two days, and by the end the system is unresponsive again. Not as bad as the the first example, but bad.

I am running a 32-bit OS with 2 GB of memory.

Can others run programs continuously for long periods of time?

Garvan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How long can you run Mint before "Slow Down"

Post by Garvan »

dalcde wrote:What exactly are the programs?
http://www.genetics.ucla.edu/software/admixture/ & http://code.google.com/p/treemix/ respectively.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How long can you run Mint before "Slow Down"

Post by Flemur »

A couple of things that may help...

Try running the pgms with lower priority, i.e.

Code: Select all

$ nice pgm_name
or w/renice after it starts.

After they're done, flush memory:

Code: Select all

# This needs to be run as REAL root: "sudo -l"  or "sudo -s"
#!/bin/sh
sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Other ideas: check the memory and swap file size/useage, and "swappiness".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Other topics”