.vhd file from my Windows 7 gives bluescreen in VirtualBox

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
rsxhawk

.vhd file from my Windows 7 gives bluescreen in VirtualBox

Post by rsxhawk »

Hello,

I recently installed mint 14 nadia on my new rig and I wanted to still be able to use my old windows installation from another machine on this new computer using virtualbox. I have created a .vhd file from my Windows 7 32-bit machine, and have attempted to load it in virtualbox and it looked like it tried initially as it showed the "starting windows" with the windows logo but then it blue screens and dies and reboots. It appears to blue screen and it happens so fast I can't even read what it says.

I gave it 3 gigs of ram as its only a 32-bit OS anyway, and 2 cpu's as a have a quad core i5 3570k.

I used a guide created by another user on the Linux Mint forum @ http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=118826

Anyone have any thoughts on how I might get this to work? Perhaps a setting I missed?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rsxhawk

Re: .vhd file from my Windows 7 gives bluescreen in VirtualB

Post by rsxhawk »

Welp.....just tried using vmware workstation 9 and it killed my entire Mint install. I can't get it to boot properly now. When I started up my windows virtual machine, it threw a black screen with gibberish hex codes and "vmhostd tainted". Reinstalling......
rsxhawk

Post by rsxhawk »

Was poking around my bios last night and apparently the intel cpu virtualization technology was not enabled by default. I enabled it so I will try and bring up my VM again tonight to see if that was the cause for the malfunction.
rsxhawk

Post by rsxhawk »

Well enabling the cpu virtualization technology in my bios did not help. The same thing happened this time. I'm going to try and revert to Ubuntu 12.04 cinnamon remix and see if it works on there. :-(

Return to “Open Chat”