Linux Mint 14 from Live USB Impossibly Slow

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iindigo

Linux Mint 14 from Live USB Impossibly Slow

Post by iindigo »

Hello,

I am having trouble installing Mint 14 and I need the issue resolved as soon as possible (this machine is my main work machine and clients are waiting on me).

When I boot from a Mint live USB created with unetbootin, imagewriter, or dd (they all produce the same results), it boots to the desktop successfully but the installer is impossibly slow - many times slower than the optical drive. Also, once the installer is nearly complete, it crashes.

How can I fix this? Please note that the optical drive is not an option because the drive on this machine does not like my older burned DVDs and I cannot burn any new discs since the LiveCD does not have drivers to allow this machine to burn DVDs with Brasero.

Please help. I need Linux on this machine for my work as soon as possible and I would greatly, greatly prefer to use Mint but if I can't get this working I will need to look to other distributions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: Linux Mint 14 from Live USB Impossibly Slow

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Usually the first step i do when things seem weird with a live CD or USB is check the .iso. I have had a few corrupted downloads that still mostly work, but little things seem to be going wrong. I would not bother troubleshooting anything until you could confirm that your .iso is perfect.

There is a number called md5 on the download page for mint.
You can perform a md5 check on the file you have. If the numbers don't match exactly, then you have a bad copy. Download again and check again before using.

In Linux you can check the image via the command line with the following command:
md5sum linuxmint.iso
Of course the name of the. Iso needs to match what you actually have.

You can also install "gtkhash" from the repositories to get a GUI tool that checks md5 for you. Once installed, it's in the accessories menu.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Installation & Boot”