<SOLVED> Canon MG2120 problem. Vuescan works, Xsane doesn't.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jack rooster

<SOLVED> Canon MG2120 problem. Vuescan works, Xsane doesn't.

Post by jack rooster »

Linux noobie here.Printer works just fine, but Xsane doesn't recognize my scanner. Vuescan works just fine but I don't like the watermarks from the free version. I've installed 'scangearmp-mg2100series-1.80-1-deb' and 'cnijfilter-mg2100series-3.60-1-deb' but neither xsane nor scangear finds the scanner.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon MG2120 problem. Vuescan works, Xsane doesn't.

Post by pdc_2 »

1) can you COPY and PASTE this command into a terminal please
sudo dpkg -l | grep scangear
and copy and paste the result back

.........you find the terminal from ......bottom left..Menu..then 4 up ...Terminal...

Use the Menu at the top line of the terminal to copy and paste, as you will see the commands are ShiftControlC and ShiftControlV and I can't use 3 fingers at once...

2) .............how did you activate scangear ?
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

Here's the result:

ii scangearmp-common 1.80-1 ScanGear MP for Linux.
ii scangearmp-mg2100series 1.80-1 ScanGear MP for Linux.

After searching Google, I found some posts about using the files I mentioned. I then installed scangear by downloading the .deb files. First I installed and tried the first one. When that didn't work I found and installed the second one.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so you need both of the packages installed: the common one should be installed first; and then the specific (MG2100series) package;

the hidden how-to of running scangear is to type
scangearmp
into a terminal

...........and hit ENTER.........that should open up scangear in all its glory: scangearmp is written by Canon;

.......if this all works, you would be best with a launcher; I use Mint 13 Mate so I go to bottom bar; right-click and select ADD to PANEL

.........see thumbnail below ......... call it whatever you want...........command MUST BE as above ie scangearmp

.....you can change the default icon if you wish.........
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

That did it! Works like a charm! Thank you very much for your time.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

oh that's great! enjoy!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”