VMware tools and host file control

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meteorrock

VMware tools and host file control

Post by meteorrock »

Does anyone know if the host file control between the Windows 7 host and the linux mint guest using virtualization on the VMware workstation 9 works? I have compiled the vmhgfs module in the CLI for this linux guest for Vmware for its tools to work. I have VMware tools installed and can drag and drop files between the OSes, however I am not seeing the shared folders I listed through the options of that VMware in its shared folders option in the /mnt/hgfs/.

Also does the kernel version 3.5.0-17 generic support vmware tools and its modules for host file sharing between OSes? Some suggestions on the interwebs say it might not be supported, this link here suggests that. http://serverfault.com/questions/403467 ... 17-install

vmware-hgfsclient shows that the host file I want permission to is mounted, and lsmod | grep "wm." shows the module is loaded.

Any help on this would be great. I would love to have some sort of host file control within my linux mint box :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
meteorrock

Re: VMware tools and host file control

Post by meteorrock »

Well, as a workaround for larger files instead of waiting for files being drag and dropped into this "hypervisor", I am just using dropbox. Some of you should help out in the forums here, I keep my forums updated daily without anyone waiting for a response for over a day or two. Are you guys just shy or is it you don't get many young women using linux in here?

Children here in the silicon valley use linux at the age of 5, there are linux distros for children now, and their questions are just as important as an adults. See this link here. Qimo is one. Having a more active community here would help you guys promote your OS a tad better. http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linu ... 43224.aspx

Return to “Other topics”