How to prevent focused window to raise?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anonrate

How to prevent focused window to raise?

Post by anonrate »

Is there any way to prevent window which just got focus to raise?
I find it quite annoying.

Thanks,
Anon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
teilnehmer

AW: How to prevent focused window to raise?

Post by teilnehmer »

Hi Anonrate,

there most probably is. Which desktop are you using (XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon)?

I'll have to look it up, but it annoys me as well, so on my system I always change that behavior. If you want to hunt yourself, it should be somewhere in window settings or your desktop's equivalent.
anonrate

Re: How to prevent focused window to raise?

Post by anonrate »

Hi
I use Cinnamon and its Settings tool doesn't offer (under Windows tab) any option for my problem.
It's why I asked here, maybe somebody know a "hack" or so.

Thanks
Anon
teilnehmer

Post by teilnehmer »

I don't use Cinnamon myself - you might want to browse this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=94195

Here's the part that may make you day:
N31L wrote: I had the same issue with the mouse focus also raising the window to the front no matter what settings I made. It took me an hour to finally find the place where the "auto_focus" setting would actually affect the windowed behaviour in gnome.
I had verified that I had the correct settings (in gconf set auto_raise to false & focus_mode to sloppy) but no matter what I changed these settings to, the behaviour remained the same. I downloaded gnome-tweak-tool and made similar setting in the windows section of that, setting the windows focus mode to sloppy... but again, no change in behaviour. I also tried downloading ccsm (compizconfig settings manager) and setting the options there, but that didn't work either.
Finally, I went into dconf-editor (you can download it with 'sudo apt-get install dconf-tools' if you don't already have the package) and under:
org > gnome > desktop > wm > preferences
I found the same settings as in gconf-editor under Metacity. Here I unselected auto_raise and then changed the focus_mode to sloppy.
These settings actually took, and now the focus moves with the mouse -- without also bringing that window to the forefront.
Hopefully this helps.
Seems like a bit of a hassle for a simple wish, but hey, after that you'll know what the dconf-editor looks like.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Strange as have Cinnamon 14 and sloppy and stacked windows stay in position with focus changing and without moving or bringing them forward. Is that what is being discussed here? Windows being moved to forefront?
Maybe a theme thing? Sorry just guessing here.
anonrate

Solved: How to prevent focused window to raise?

Post by anonrate »

Thanks teilnehmer for the tip.
dconf-editor was the way to go.
Under
org > gnome > desktop > wm > preferences
I had auto-raise _not_ checked and auto-raise-delay 500.

After I set auto-raise-delay = 0, auto-raise stopped.
It looks like a bug.
I've just installed latest Mint/Cinnamon on another laptop
and with the default settings
(auto-raise _not_ checked and auto-raise-delay 500)
it doesn't do auto-raise.

Thanks again,
Anon
teilnehmer

AW: How to prevent focused window to raise?

Post by teilnehmer »

Glad it worked out! :)

Return to “Cinnamon”