Incredible kernel bug has forced me back to Mint 13

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Incredible kernel bug has forced me back to Mint 13

Postby catweazel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 am

This is an fyi, not a request for help. I was doing some development work in Qt Designer when, all of a sudden, completely out of the blue, the designer started to complain that it couldn't write various files because they were read-only. I rebooted and the same happened again about 30 minutes later. I fired up firefox and it wouldn't download files. I got home from work today and it happened again, about ten minutes after starting Mint Cinnamon 14.

My filesystem had randomly gone read-only. It's happening consistently now. First it's ok for a while then all of a sudden, wham, a read only home path.

The bug is here if anyone is interested: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1063354

I'm running from a flash drive at the moment and I'm about to switch back to Mint 13. Some poor unfortunates claim to have lost data. My data is ok as I do regular backups. If this does turn out to be a genuine kernel bug, it is, without doubt, the worst I've ever seen.

I've subscribed to the bug report so I know when to go back to Mint 14, which I adore with a passion. I encourage you to sign up to launchpad if you aren't already a member, and report the bug as affecting you. The more 'heat' gnerated the more likely we are to see a fix soon.

Thanks for reading.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Incredible kernel bug has forced me back to Mint 13

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 am

From the bug report it seems to be restricted to users with Asus motherboards, can you confirm you also have a Asus motherboard?
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Incredible kernel bug has forced me back to Mint 13

Postby catweazel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 am

xenopeek wrote:From the bug report it seems to be restricted to users with Asus motherboards, can you confirm you also have a Asus motherboard?

No, I can't confirm it. I use Intel kit. While some people did say they had Asus gear, I didn't get the impression it was restricted to Asus, though some easily influenced people did seem to believe that.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Other topics